1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius sale advice

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by PristinePrius, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PristinePrius

PristinePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm hoping I'm posting in the right-ish area. On my phone so please bare with me. I have a 2004 Prius that I'm needing to sell because there's repairs I'm not willing to fix and me and my fiancé are wanting to get a lease on a car or what have you. Which in turn doesn't make sense to some because the cost of the repair would be less than leasing a new car plus payments, etc., I know this but we haven't changed our minds. So here's the thing, I've read on these forums about people having the same issues as mine codes came up for replace hybrid battery pack and fuel air metering. Half the people suggested selling the car on Craigslist or something like it around 2500-3 grand even in its current state while others said in its current state it isn't worth anything. My question is how much is reasonable to sell a 2004 Prius that needs the hybrid battery pack? Hoping to get some good advice. Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some smart person on here once said, you always seem to think your car is worth more than actual value when selling......and you always seem to think a car is worth less than actual value when you are buying.

A reasonable amount would be an amount that both seller and buyer can walk away somewhat happy.

3. PristinePrius

PristinePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Jonathan still doesn't help me hahaha. But so far got two offers. Posted 3000 and got an offer for 1800. Felt like that was a low baller...

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think $1800 is a very reasonable offer. The value for your 12 year old car if in good working condition would be possibly $3500-$4000. The items hurting your car's value are:

1. HV battery replacement ($2000+)
    2. 3 way valve ($300+)
    3. brakes and alignment ($200+)
    4. high mileage
    5. base model prius without sks functions

Those are just the known factors, forget the unknown. So if you deduct $2500 from $4000, you would get $1500. You can hold out and wait for better offers but my opinion is $1800 is very fair. The market is not that big for cars with around 250k miles and it gets smaller as the miles get higher. Just yesterday I saw a listing for a one owner 2007, 260k with leather and all the bells and whistles, needed only a catalytic converter for $2500. So you gotta think the $1800 offered to you isn't all that bad of an offer.

5. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a ford truck with 230k miles. It needs work. You Prius needs work my truck is worth $2500-$3000. Most people can scrap up $2-3k cash. The truck makes money for a gardner or landscaper. So I would think the $1,800 is fair to the buyer, if you got $2500 then it would be a better deal for you. You can also not fix it and drive the car until the wheels fall off.