1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Sales December 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DeadPhish, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0 Sales Dec 2011 2010
    1 500 2 325 n/a
    2 Accent 5 316 2 784
    3 Cooper 3 178 3 317
    4 Fiesta 3 673 5 212
    5 Fit 5 138 4 860
    6 Insight 690 1 637
    7 Rio 2 155 944
    8 Yaris 4 514 3 422
    9 Total 26 989 22 176

Some of those are value purchases, but others could be grabbed by good fuel economy as long as the price differential isn't too high.

1 person likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know about es hybrid or rav4 hybrid. rav4 bev will be on a different lithium battery and it is a limited run. I thought nimh battery factory production capacity in 2010 was large enough for 1.1 million prii, and the yaris and prius c have lower capacity batteries so they may just need to add another shift.

I hope prius c sells well here. It may depend a great deal on price which we don't know yet. It will be a hit for sure in Japan, where people want smaller cars and gas is more expensive. The prius c is on a different platform, so will not be included in prius numbers. Prius phv should be included, but toyota only intends to sell 15K in the US next year. Prius sales have declined for the last several years, even with the new prius v. I hope this year is a turn around where they grow:rockon: Still its unlikely they grow enough to crack the top 10.

I remember the episode but not the specifics. Are people mature enough to drive a car that saves gas but not be smug:mad: Probably not. Mr. smug, al gore, had his fisker karma recalled. Now that is a smug car.:rockon:

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember that the Prius c has fewer cells. More c's mean more sales. ;)

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i didnt even mention Rav EV... but ES and RAv4 are coming, will do another 30k-60k together... it all adds up.

Prius, Prius v, Prius c and Prius PHEV will sell >200k in US next year... likely more than 250k total, depending on price of gas.

In US, Prius was at best in 2007, due to high price of gas... but worldwide, Prius sales have been going up constantly. selling over 500,000 in 2010 alone. With c and v, as well as Japanese eco subsidies, i expect this to dramatically rise in 2012... They might even go over 1,000,000 sold in 2012 (all of their hybrids), if not limited by capacity or natural disasters. Also depending when these new hybrids (Rav, ES, GS, Yaris), hit the market. All of them are limited on their own, but together might bring up to 200k sales a year.

So my estimates for 2012 worldwide (no disasters and good supply):
    Prius - 400k (down due to more options)
    Prius v - 150k (40k US, 60k Japan, 50k Europe and rest of the world)
    Prius Phev - 40k (made it up)
    Prius c - 300k

CTh, Auris - 100k
    RX, HH, Camry, GSh - 100k

Rav4, ESh, Yaris - 60k next year, up to 150k in full year.

so thats more than 1.1 million and going up in 2013 too :).
    of course, thats if they have full production... I see that last month in Japan, Lexus sales went down by 50% probably due to CTh not being available (thai floods).

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two 'unknown' forces that will be at work during the coming year.

1. I'm positive that fuel prices will exceed last year's peak here and even exceed 2008's peak pricing @$4.25 - $5.00 per gallon during the summer driving time frame. If things get stickier in the MidEast the pricing may be a LOT higher than those levels.

2. The fall in the value of the US$ vs the Yen makes imports from Japan to the US far less attractive. If they can be sold, it makes sense for the parent company to limit the shipment of units to the US and to keep the vehicles at home....or possibly ship them to other more attractive markets where there isn't so much of a $Dollar$ penalty ( Malaysia? ). Until there is a Prius built in NA I fear that we may have peaked in terms of shipments.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about an ESh or RAV4 hybrid do you have a link.

I wasn't commenting on worldwide since this thread was about US sales. I hope you are right. IMHO the decision to build prius all in asia (japan, thailand, china) may hurt toyota in us sales because of production costs. This isn't an issue in Japan, as the buyers and makers are doing business in yen:D

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Funny you should mention that. One of the stat's I read regarding lost auto sales involved the Leaf. Those buyers that got a Leaf, most frequently gave up their Prius (I feel like such a whore :( :p ... actually our poor Prius was totaled, and would have otherwise gone to our daughter). So I guess the message is that if the new buyers outweigh those who move onto another brand, it's no big deal.

That said, if Corola DOES loose sales . . . better to loose 'em to your own company, than to loose 'em to the competition. Nothin' better than having your self as the main competition.
    If the good folks at Ford have their act together, they'll hurriedly be trying to come out with a PHEV version of their 150. Otherwise the champion of hybrids may beat them to it! I've heard from many a person that'd LOVE to buy a full hybrid version of a pick up, or a PHEV version. Maybe that's fodder for another thread, but I do wonder it U.S. manufacturers will again miss the boat.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ahem.

Toyota Prius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

US Sales in 1000s
    Column 1 Column 2
    0 Year Sales
    1 2006 107.0
    2 2007 181.2
    3 2008 158.6
    4 2009 139.7
    5 2010 140.9
    6 2011 136.5
    2009 introduced the Gen 3 and had CARS.
    2011 had the quake and tsunami that interrupted supply and raised prices. Not bad to sell 136.5k with the lows in some months.

I think the special events in 2009 and 2011 are hiding steady sales or sales growth after the 2008 crash. Some of the monthly sales numbers in 2011 were incredibly low but the total was near to 2010.

The Prius itself is often a steady 12k seller, but sales jump as gas prices rise or the end-of-year deals come. With the v's added sales I suspect that even with steady gas prices in the $3.20 to $3.50 range you could see a record year and the numbers could get silly if gas prices jump.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

if gas goes over $5, then toyota simply wont have enough of hybrids to sell :).

my reasonable guesses already say 1.1 million for 2012... Aqua has 4 month waiting lists with sales started only in japan, alpha has.9 months waiting list for japan with lion version, and now they will add hybrid yaris, prius phev, camry hybrid, es hybrid, gs hybrid, etc, espand prius c and v world wide, all within half a year or so, with japan getting new subsidies... i dont see them having enough supply as it is.

toyota already predicted that they will sell 1.5 million cars more in 2012

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2011 U.S. alt-fuel vehicle sales: a mix of ups and downs

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean GM will beat them to a hybrid truck:D Toyota and Ford are working together on rear wheel/4wd hybrid systems. This will takes sometime. If ford was smart they would license the bmw/mercedes tech, that they threw 2-mode out for. It should be an inexpensive temporary fix until they come out with a better truck hybrid system.

This Japan situation, along with the strong yen, may make prius c expensive in the united states. It depends a great deal on price and availability with how well the prius c sells in north america.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isn't that why Ford teamed up with Toyota. An economical full series/parallel hybrid system for a work truck has been elusive. Cost aside, GM had to mate their gas guzzling 6L V8 up to the two mode in order to keep the payload/tow ratings, and most trucks with the base V6 performed nearly as well.

I've heard from from many people who would just love to have a more economical(smaller than a V8) diesel option for 1/2 ton or smaller trucks. I think most heavy duty truck buyers bought their truck for the diesel.

Dodge does have a test fleet of PHV Rams on the road. I'm sure the others are feeling pressure to produce.

13. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Roads are really, really tough to hoe. Rows, on the other hand, are slightly more do-able.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Looks to Small ‘c’ to Reach U.S. Record Prius Sales - Businessweek

We now have pricing and mileage on the prius c, so here is toyota's estimate

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the meantime, Prius has been the top-selling vehicle for 3 years in Japan.

252,528 were sold there last year.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know about the Highlander, but the Escape hybrid, which the Rav4 is in class with, lost some space. These aren't 'real truck' SUVs. They have unibodies that can be as crammed with components as any car.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well thats ford and this is toyota :).

i expect no space lost... i have had rav4 before and there is plenty of space below the trunk and seats.

(they have storage spaces there now)