1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Sales Increasing Again?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MitchR, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how much the spike in sales of truck and SUV sales have done to increase demand for gas. Probably not as much as we think, since supply is still a huge "problem" for oil producers and OPEC, but I wonder if it kept oil from going even lower.

I don't think oil prices will shoot back up to $80+ a barrel any time soon, if ever again. OPEC shot themselves in the foot by making oil cost so much for so long that fracking, shale, and tar sands oil production was given time to be perfected despite their higher costs.

And if oil prices stay low, some of their members, who failed to diversify their economy and ran their budget on high oil prices, are hurting just as badly as the N. American oil producers, if not worse because they've also got a lot of angry people to deal with as well when they cut services. Venezuela is probably the best example of this.

Saudi Arabia still has a decent surplus to draw on, but that's only expected to last a few years at best at their current spending rates. They are attempting to diversify, but from what I've read on other sites, their people are pretty pampered with low cost utilities and decent paying jobs, but many of them are also lazy, and probably wouldn't get hired if not for their government mandating that Saudi citizens make up a sizable portion of any private company doing business there.

I'll stop here before I accidentally get this thread sent to Fred's house of politics. But it should be interesting to see how hybrids, plug-in hybrids and the 200+ ranged EV's will do to demand in the coming years. I'm sure it'll be trivial at first, but what about in 10 years, especially if EV's sell well despite these "low" gas prices?

Or worse, for OPEC at least, plug-in SUV's and trucks that can get say, 30 miles of EV driving. That'll cover a lot of people's commutes, and cut down their gas usage even more. And they'll sell like hotcakes, if the automakers don't put a $10-15k premium on them.

goldfinger, RCO and MichelleStone like this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Oil consumption, worldwide continues to go up.
    Some is due to the increased sales of trucks, SUVs, and other low efficiency vehicles.
    Some is due to people driving more and other changes to driving behaviors.
    Some is due to more people driving in China, India, and other places.

The supply is not growing as fast, but we still have more supply than demand.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From placing my order back in July for a standard UK Business Edition (your 3), mine is now reported as at sea and ETA with dealer early November. A fellow Brit has reported elsewhere on PC that the waiting list over here has gone up to 6 months. Go figure! :(:sleep:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the first Gen 4 which arrived at my local dealer late June (I bought it the day it arrived!!), they haven't had another Gen 4 come in since. Supply here seems very poor.

5. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every time some jacked up 4x4 blows past me, putting on a show for the "Prius driver" I get a chuckle. Thinking how they're gonna be sad sad sad when gas is $3-4/gallon again, LOL

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well about 3 weeks into ownership of my Prius we had that pipeline deal...Kind of glad I got rid of the V8 because I probably would have needed gas when none of the gas stations had any gas.

I also for the first time today got behind another Gen 4 on the road. Honestly, after getting a better look at the rear, I really don't see what everyone gripes about the Gen 4's being ugly. I think it is overall an improved design on previous generations.

7. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like the Gen 4. If I had only been in the market to buy 1 Prius I'd have bought a 2017. But since we needed 3 "newer" cars in the family, economics ruled out any brand new ones for now.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. i will look at prime, but i wish it had lift back tail lights. every time i see them (especially when on) i'm amazed at the beauty and creativity of the designer.

MichelleStone, RCO and Bluegrassman like this.
  9. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Article in USA Today says 2016 Prius sales were down 22%. On another note, I got a call from a dealer yesterday that I had spoken to a couple months ago. With these sales figures confirming the consistent decline and with the announcement of 2017 pricing, I'm thinking dealers are probably wanting to move out some inventory in the near future.

10. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well sales are down only because of the price of gas... let gas hit $4.00 a gallon again people will do the same thing all over again.

Bluegrassman and bisco like this.
  11. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Partly or mostly cheap gas, but Butt ugly has to factor in to the equation as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I secretly hope gas goes back up. Just for those folks who traded their hybrids for gas guzzling SUV's and trucks. Then the resale values of our cars will spike too, because they will become hard to find. It'll probably be like 2007-2008 all over again with waiting lists and people paying top dollar for used Prii.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Waiting lists, AK? I'm already waiting 4 months since July. Think raspy said somewhere a few days ago that in London it was 8 months! They must all be sitting in back lots in USA! :ROFLMAO:

bisco likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you all saw yesterday's news, that Putin has agreed to join OPEC in reducing oil production - the aim is to increase their revenue. The net result will be increases in Petrol/Gas/Gasoline/Diesel prices. The barrel price increased by Personally, I'd guess a 25% increase by Christmas is possible, taking it to the price it was a few years ago - and steady increases for a while from then.

Will that boost sales of PRIUS? Maybe, and see a decline in SUVs and trucks etc?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can only hope.

16. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still waiting on those skyrocketing fuel prices.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see it.
    OPEC has had no success when it comes to getting all the members to lower production.
    Adding Russia into the mix just makes it even more difficult.

Even if it did happen, there is tons of oil sitting in storage because it is too cheap to sell.
    The world would have to burn through the surplus supply before any significant increase in prices.

Don't get me wrong, oil will go back up. But I don't see it happening inside of 3 months. More like 3 years.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't be instant - there are 4000 tankers out there on the ocean. But crude went up 2½% instantly Putin's statement was made yesterday.

RCO likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware of self fulfilling prophecy!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm quite happy to NOT see a rise in fuel prices. ;)

Bluegrassman, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.