1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Sales Nov 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DeadPhish, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Not quite, since the Volt has a lower MPGe/higher wh/mile.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think c will get anywhere near regular Prius mainly because it is smaller and will still be pricey for its size. Yaris, Fiesta, etc... I see them around, but in smaller numbers.

I'm really hoping people see the Prius v as a strong alternative to the big 5 midsize sedans which own the top sales spots, and buy it.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Morning Drive section featured half dozen family friendly cars for children including Equinox, CR-V, Rav4, xB, Jetta. Prius v didn't make the list because one criteria was starting price under $25k.
    But, that's ok, because the v is very close to $25k.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Volt just seems to be a really expensive commuter or empty nester car. As much as I love the idea of electric motoring, I think it is going to take many years for most people to warm up to the idea of plugging in.

That said, full hybrids a great way to get hooked on some electric driving and yearn for more of it.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

We will have to see. But let's put it this way. I paid $19.000 for my 2010 Honda Fit Sport...MPG...average about 30...

IMO excellent subcompact ICE.

But if I'm anywhere near that for a Prius c? Concievable with HSD and Gas Mileage near double that of The Fit?

It's going to be a seller.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be a seller, yes, but if it is sized about 165" length (2 shorter than Pri), 1" narrower, it will fall into the compact or subcompact category and sell like subcompacts. I wouldn't touch it. I'm not squeezing 6'2" into a Fit, 2nd gen, iMiEV, etc... if the seat bottom doesn't work, the car doesn't work for me.

No subcompacts in the top 20 sellers -

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/11/us-best-selling-cars-november-2011.html

Given the 3rd gen sells about 12k / month, I'd wager about 6k / month for c.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Nissan Versa is a subcompact.

And yes, The Prius c is going to be a subcompact. Is that going to take it off the table for a lot of people? Sure.

But my point is Honda, Nissan, Ford, have been able to sell a lot of Fits, Versa's, and Fiesta's...to a lot of people at around the 16,000-20,000 range.

If Toyota can offer a close to 60mpg hybrid...subcompact or not, at less than 20,000? I think that's recipee for significant success.

Yes. There are some people that turn their noses up at "subcompacts". Personal preference.

But as the urban world get's smaller? I think the advantages to a subcompact are more defined. The advantages to a subcompact that also gets 50+ mpg...even more.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is something to remember: subcompact ICEVs don't have much mpg advantage over compacts, at least in the EPA ratings, even if real world economy for efficient drivers can be very good. US subcompacts tend to have engines over-sized for city pep and it hurts.

Currently the subcompact with the highest EPA rating is the Honda Insight (II). It costs $20k for the LX (which adds cruise and a bunch of unimportant stuff to the $18.2k base model). Real world economy is consistent with or better than the EPA figures of 41/44/42. Until the quake caused supply problems Honda were selling between 1,500 and 2,000 per month.

$20k is a lot for a subcompact. Let's compare to the class-leading Accent which is 33mpg combined. If you want a hatchback with AT it's about $16.5k MSRP. $3,500 buys a fair amount of gas. Ignoring taxes and insurance, even at $4/gallon that's 134,750 miles.

But, 42mpg is one thing. 50mpg is another. At 50mpg and $4 per gallon the break even is 85,000 miles, which is mentally a much more manageable figure. Allowing for additional costs and taxes the break-even could still be 100,000 miles, which is much more palatable.

With the Prius' reliability record, if Toyota can match the Prius liftback efficiency and the Insight LX price they should easily beat the Insight's sales. It won't be a segment leader but it could help the Prius brand to solidify at 15k sales per month.

There's a risk for Toyota that an efficient c would cannablize some Prius liftback sales but I hope they'd see it as an opportunity to make more profit on comfort and bling instead of deliberately engineering to push high-mileage drivers towards the liftback. I also hope they don't ignore the fact that the reduced battery and motors sizes means more cars per kg and increased manufacturing potential, and don't simply market the c as a small volume gateway vehicle.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything to get more people into full hybrids, get 'em hooked on partial electric driving. Nice gateway to plug-in driving years down the road or sooner.

Prius c, v, PiP will add to overall Prius sales and push it up the charts. Maybe consistent top 10 of all cars,trucks,SUV sales by next year.

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree.
    AFAIK, gasoline engine runs in a plug-in-hybrid for several reasons, even if not in CS mode.
    Also, the Volt's ICE has to be serviced regularly.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius in Japan sold 34,164 units in November, 60% jump from last year and apsolutely crazy number. Cant see what Prius Alpha did as part of that but it obviously did well and production is probably back to normal.

Lexus sales jumped 100% compared to last year, again probably due to CTh.

12. quartzav

quartzav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, but by serviced regularly I think it requires at least one oil change every two years if engine infrequently runs