1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Sat Nav & GPS Coordinates

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom Wade, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Tom Wade

Tom Wade New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (It has been suggested I should have posted this in this forum instead..)
    My Prius and Satnav is just over a year now. I still find it painful that the Satnav won't accept longitude/latitude coordinates in decimal degrees (e.g. 53.12345,-6.12345) but rather insists on Babylonian format minutes/seconds (e.g. N53 13' 26" W6 13'26"). All my previous Garmins/Tomtoms allowed you to specify the preferred format.

Has this been enhanced in any recent versions ? I did try to send a query to the online assistance address, but they seem to answer all queries with a 'contact your local sales/service office'.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOYOTA, like all manufacturers, cater for the "norm" - if you want something a bit out of the ordinary, you'll be out of luck. I don't know if my current - or previous - or previous SatNavs will accept latitude/longitude at all. TOYOTA advertising only talks about entering an address or a POI.

I suspect that 99% of users of SatNavs never use latitude/longitude unless it's off-road driving - and PRIUS isn't an off-road vehicle.

It'd be interesting to see if a LandCruiser 200 registers it differently. Though it's brochure states "† Current navigation mapping database encompasses major capital and primary national road networks, as well as offering some coverage in regional areas." - indicating that it is focused on city driving.

bisco likes this.