1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius seats

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by terry rusinow, Jul 4, 2012.

1. terry rusinow

terry rusinow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I had been waiting for the Prius v to come out for half a year. I had been driving 1) a Ford Escape Hybrid (loved the seat, hated how large it drove, like a truck...36 mpg wasn't bad, and 2) a 2004 CRV--again loved the seats, loved that it felt zippy, drove just like my old Rav 4...BUT 19mpg. So stomached the huge loss in trade in, and purchased a new 2012 Prius v. I had waited for this model because of the room and the non split back window. I was greatly surprised at how awful the seats are. I didn't notice it when I test drove it, but have since gotten sciatica, horrible hip and lower back pain. I today, spent over $200 on some really decent seat cushions at "Relax the Back" store, after trying some others on line. When I walked in, she asked what kind of car I drove, and when I said "Prius", she nodded knowingly, and pulled out a really good back support and seat cushion. Even driving with these for less than a day has made a huge difference in my pain. But I don't get why Toyota doesn't get how awful these are. The seat tilts way down, which means you're not sitting in a proper alignment, and it puts huge stress on your spine and neck. Lots of folks have complained on line, so I hope they get the message. I understand not being able to put in an electric seat with all kinds of adjustments because of the weight, but design a seat that is comfortable and with some fabric that doesn't look so cheap. This car was almost $30,000, and for that price should have a few things about it that feel good. That said, I love the car. I don't try and drive it like a sports car because it isn't. Those that want peppy perhaps should look elsewhere. Once you drive it a bit, you get the hang of how to drive it so you get the best power for the drive. But the SEATS.... And there's nothing you can do either--no other upgrades or choices. They suggested I have an unholsterer put more padding in it. I shouldn't have to do that....Toyota needs to change the seats.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Before we bought our v we tried the base seats and the upgraded seat in the softex, and there was an improvment in the padding of the softex seats. The two cars were parked sise by side and we went back and forth between the two. We both found them very comfortable and are happy we bought the upgraded model.

4. Fil Factor

Fil Factor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You didn't mention you body proportions, but in my reading of the posts in this area, it seems that people who are taller, have longer legs, and prefer the seat adjusted for higher driving position have had the most complaints. I agree completely about the seat design and structure being poor relative to the technologoical level of the vehicle. I bought the softex for increased support and comfort, and even so, I need to keep shifting my posture on longer drives to keep from getting back pain. Can you tell us which seat pad you found helpful from the Relax-the-Back store?

5. moparjer

moparjer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The absolute best car seat cushions I've found are made by the ROHO Group. ROHO makes medical, agricultural, motorcycle, trucker and a variety of other seat cushions and products. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. Their Airhawk line is often available at truck stops and medical supply shops.

There website is:
    Distance Travel Seating Products - The ROHO Store

Good Luck!

6. Soochie

Soochie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

7. Soochie

Soochie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So...I just purchased a Prius III 2012 yesterday. I didn't feel the horrific back and hip pain and sciatica when I test drove the car. While driving home, I was practically in tears - the sciatica was so bad. How I longed for my little Honda Civic, 2009 that I had just turned in (leased). Today, I traded the III in for a IV. Had to eat the cost of tax, license, etc and pay that ALL OVER AGAIN on the IV. And, to top it off, I of course paid more for this model. It has an 8-way adjustment for the passenger seat - first year Power - not manual adjustments. The seat actually lowers at a 90 degree and not the excruciating, tortorous, 45 degree - which is KILLER. I can't BELIEVE Toyota does this! So now, I'll be honest - the seats do not go low enough! I'm tellin' ya...I pray my first long commute to work tomorrow is ok. I'm freaking out - I saved and saved for a new, purchased car.

Please tell me which pillow system you bought at RELAX THE BACK. Believe it or not, I was there this morning, bought a seat and lumbar pillow (wedge seat). I'll return the wedge now that I have the IV - but would still LOVE to know which system you bought!

8. Soochie

Soochie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

So...I just purchased a Prius III 2012 yesterday. I didn't feel the horrific back and hip pain and sciatica when I test drove the car. While driving home, I was practically in tears - the sciatica was so bad. How I longed for my little Honda Civic, 2009 that I had just turned in (leased). Today, I traded the III in for a IV. Had to eat the cost of tax, license, etc and pay that ALL OVER AGAIN on the IV. And, to top it off, I of course paid more for this model. It has an 8-way adjustment for the passenger seat - first year Power - not manual adjustments. The seat actually lowers at a 90 degree and not the excruciating, tortorous, 45 degree - which is KILLER. I can't BELIEVE Toyota does this! So now, I'll be honest - the seats do not go low enough! I'm tellin' ya...I pray my first long commute to work tomorrow is ok. I'm freaking out - I saved and saved for a new, purchased car.

Please tell me which pillow system you bought at RELAX THE BACK. Believe it or not, I was there this morning, bought a seat and lumbar pillow (wedge seat). I'll return the wedge now that I have the IV - but would still LOVE to know which system you bought!

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-seats.111757/#ixzz28gTm1x9H

9. Amy2017PriusV

Amy2017PriusV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had the same back pain that Terry has described. I bought my car in March and barely drove at all until July, so it took me a long time to notice the problem. I need to sit up straight when I drive, but when you put the seats straight, the headrest tips your head forward while at the same time there is a curvature in the back. It's terrible. Is there any chance Toyota could be convinced to fix this in used cars???? I asked a service guy at Maplewood Toyota about it and he just shrugged his shoulders. It's making me not like Toyota.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, there is no chance unfortunately.

some have turned the headrest around iirc, and you might want to try an upholstery shop.