1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius-Segway Challenge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xbdude, Jan 25, 2008.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I try not to be THAT annoying! I didn't mean to miss the point, and I'm still not sure that I did!

I don't agree, and so still don't really understand. I've riden a Seqway for quite some miles. It took me about 12 seconds to get good at it, and another 30 to be really comfortable. But I can still control my bicycle far better. Plus it is much lighter if I do run over somebody. I can fit my bike through tighter spaces, and between people without running over toes. I can stop faster, acclerate faster and I pollute less. I see no safety benefits to a Segway over a bicycle.

That makes it safer?

Not in my experience.

I don't mean to be obuse or even argumentative here. My experience just doesn't match what you're saying.

I sort of let that slide. Bicycles typically do NOT belong on sidewalks, I agree. In fact they have been illegal here for many years. The difference in speed does not mesh well with pedestrians.

Ouch. Sometimes doing the right thing comes at a cost. If we base everything on what it costs us in the short term, we're screwed. Regardless - per mile, that 30c electricity is still going to be cheaper when you total up all the costs of the options.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I may be wrong about the price, which may be good. It appears that PG&E requires a time-of-use metering rate, making off-peak electricity much cheaper. The rate structure is complicated and confusing, so I'll have to phone for the answers.

I have a separate electric service and meter for my garage building, which may allow me a choice of two different rate plans. We shall see.

Having a Zenn or Zap would be a cool thing in my town, and it would certainly serve its intended purpose for my trips about town. The fun factor would outweigh the no-gasoline factor for me!