1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius sending power to wheels in park

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Marco Morel, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Marco Morel

Marco Morel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and today when I put it in park the energy monitor showed that the battery was sending power to the front wheels and not to long after the engine kicked on and began sending power to the front wheels (the car did not move) but it still concerns me for some reason I have owned 3 Prii A 2008 Prius, 2010 Prius (daily driver) and a 2018 Prius Prime. And Ive never seen any of those cars act this way I did hear the inverter that controls where power is sent (or something like that I’m not used to hybrids) that Toyota recalled in 2014 are failing again and I’m guessing that’s why I’m worried I just want to know if anybody else’s Prius has acted this way and if it’s the inverter or a glitch in the energy montior or something else
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    always worth checking the 12v, how many miles on her?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At some level, the Prius is always in D.
    R just rotates Motor/Generator2 backwards, no gears change
    B just adds engine braking, no gears change.
    N just doe not send electricity to the Motor/Generators, no gears change. But the engine rotates with no resistance, so you don't go anywhere.
    P pushes a pawl into the gears, so the wheels can't rotate, but no gears change.

As such, P looks JUST like D with your foot firmly on the brake. If you apply gas as well, it will charge the battery.

4. Marco Morel

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 12v battery had just been replaced about 2 weeks ago because the auto headlight shut off stopped working and my Prius has about 232,000 miles (I know it’s a lot but that’s why I buy them)

bisco likes this.
  5. Marco Morel

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Okay that makes sense I’ll see if the car does it again today