1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius service in Sacramento, CA

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HarvMilt, May 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. HarvMilt

HarvMilt New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recently bought what seems to be a gem: 2015 Gen 3 Prius 2. First owner a one year lease, then the only other owner put 18,000-plus miles a year, had at serviced by the same dealer every 5,000 miles. Each time washed and detailed. 133k miles; I’ve put 2,000 onit and no oil consumption. Want a service I can trust, not a dealer. Any recommendations in the Sacramento area?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    is san fran too far?

3. HarvMilt

HarvMilt New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, these days the 95 miles can take two and a half hours. So, yes, but thanks!

bisco likes this.
  4. w84me

w84me Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interested in this too since I’m in sac

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you should go to the same dealer that’s been servicing the car since it’s been running under their service. The one at sf wanted to charge me $150 for oil change, that’s after I said I’ll bring my own oil and filter. Saving gas cost a lot of money

7. HarvMilt

HarvMilt New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your suggestions. I’m much grateful for the good people of PriusChat. Lucious Garage sounds good, but the 100 miles/2+ hour drive to SF doesn’t work for me (as much as I love the Prius). The servicing dealer is almost as far—Napa. I have considered going there once just to see what they do with what appear to be the common (?) egr & head gasket issues. Of course, that’s another (many) thread. Read too much online and it seems the sky is falling (all respect to those with actual knowledge, of which I have none).

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2015 would be the least prone to head gasket failure due to improved pistons and rings.

but i woud still have someone take a peek at the cooler, etc. at 133k, jst to be safe.

you don't need a hybrid mech, just a conscientious one

9. HarvMilt

HarvMilt New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, bisco. Assume you refer to the entire egr circuit? Guess that would be a standard “feature” of a gas engine. The hybrid aspect of the power train is still a mystery to me, in particular the transitions between ev and ice. Have a buddy with a 2019 Camry hybrid and don’t feel a thing pulling away gently from stop. My Prius is prone to a gentle tug (not quite a throb) when ice comes on. Just wanted an “expert” to assess things. Otherwise, this cars feels new.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, we have a 13 hycam. they are very different beasts, hycam being much smoother.

the the ev/hv transitions takes place inside the transmission (eCVT) which is the most reliable part of the car.
    it's complicated, but elegantly simple at the same time. i'm no expert, but there are tons of youtube engineering videos which explain things nicely for those interested.

you can also find videos on cleaning the egr circuit, which consists of a few parts including and importantly, the intake manifold