1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shortage - want another one

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, May 7, 2008.

1. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow. I may be a lucky one that able to get about 1000 under MSRP. I bought my Specta blue Package 2 on april 19. they have the car in the lot but i could pick it up because of my trade-in. I had to wait about a week to get everything done.

I dont know how is it in NYC dealership, is there a shortage here too?

2. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We're going to be at our dealer tomorrow morning to take the baby for scheduled service- I'll have to see if they have any, but I would bet probably not. They seem to sell like hot cakes here in SoCal.

3. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    desert toyota has 3 pri right now on the lot. They normally stock 7 or 12

all blue

4. pjriowa

pjriowa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here in Iowa they are all gone. I purchased mine back in October and our dealer had 12-15 on the lot. I just picked one out, signed the papers, and drove away. A colleague of mine wanted to buy one this week and both dealers in the Des Moines area said it would be a 3 month wait.

5. stevecaz

stevecaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

That was then, this is now. I put my order in yesterday with a 2-3 month waiting period. I called around and there is no haggling, straight MSRP is now the norm. The single Prius they had for test drives was just bought for $2k over sticker.

But again another example of the cookie cutter boring Toyota mentality. When I order a car I expect to get a VIN number shortly thereafter, with a scheduled production date. But nope, with Toyota you don't order, you pay money to cue up and wait for the cookie cutter to stamp you out an acceptable model. I was told as I move up in the list to expect calls as they come in if I'll accept whatever they have at that time. I will however be rejecting all but 2 colors, and only accepting the dark grey interior and package 3.

I know I will like the Prius when I have it, but boy I miss the European way of ordering a car customizing all the options.