1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius shut off on highway and wont turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusfan1234, Jul 30, 2018.

1. priusfan1234

priusfan1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hey guys my 2004 prius with 174000 miles shut off on the highway. As I was driving all the lights came on the dashboard, I lost all forward power and so I pulled to the side and put the car on park and then tried to restart the car. All the lights on the dashboard would come on for a second before shutting down again. the power button was blinking amber as well. I also disconnected and the reconnected the 12v battery but that didnt help. About 2 weeks ago I had the 12v battery tested good and my inverter radiator replaced because of a coolant leak. 2 weeks ago the inverter had ran out of coolant from the broken radiator and the triangle light had come on. I got that fixed 2 weeks ago. Here is a link to the video I made of attempting to restart the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated I had the car towed to a local hybrid car shop that also did the radiator repair. Thnx

2. GoodByeGas

GoodByeGas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    not sure how old your battery is but with summer heat batteries can die prematurely.

Do a diagnostic yourself on battery with Prius secret menu in your car. Turn A/C, radio and lights on. Battery should always be above 12.1 volts with load.

Here is youtube link on how to do it:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might need an inverter pump, but your best bet is to have the trouble codes read and post them here.

GoodByeGas likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well since your futzing with the inverter loop the inverter pump probably failed......if your lucky. When the rad failed did the car shut off on you also? If so thats not good that means the Inverter overheated so bad it crowbarred and shut the car off so the Inverter my have failed.

If it has the original hybrid battery its probably bad.

Only way to tell is to have a Toyota techstream capable OBD Code reader pull all the codes. Stop disconnecting the 12 volt as it erases all the codes. Most auto store free code read will not pull hybrid codes.

use search forums button up top and search

techstream

you have alot of reading to do.