1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shut off problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Suede1000, May 21, 2022.

1. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius shuts off while driving ….
    Things I notice
    Runs and drives , I wait for 30-45 mins of driving
    The car ac automatically stop blowing cold and then soon as it switches to warm I know the car is about to shut off … the ac stops blowing cold it goes warm and boom triangle then shut off no codes no anything … it’s a repeated cycle no answers mechanics wasting my time

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You are posting in the Gen 4 forum. Is this a problem with a Gen 4 car or the Gen 2 listed in your profile?

3. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry gen 2

4. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ok, the moderators will move the thread, but I don't know how to notify them. In any event, what device are you using to look for codes? The symptoms you describe are indicative of a failed or failing Inverter Coolant Pump. Do you see movement of fluid in the coolant reservoir for the inverter when the car is in IG-On mode (2 presses of the Power button, without your foot on the brake)? If no movement, that should throw a P0A93 code, if you are using a device that reads hybrid system codes.

5. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, there’s turbulence . It’s weird everyone who describes this problem says inverter yet I press power twice hoping that’s the problem and it’s still moving . Maybe the inverter can still be faulty ?? Idk but this issue only sounds like a inverter issue so it seems .. mechanics don’t know a thing about Prius and are wasting my money and or don’t know what to do … very strange the reader from my local auto zone picked up my first time getting P093 code for the pump but now nothing so lost at the moment

6. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed the pump 3 months ago as well it may have been a bad job or pump my only guess but it keeps movin so I’m not sure

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Did you source a reliable, quality part?
    https://lusciousgarage.com/blog/toyota_prius_inverter_water_pump_recall/
    Coolant movement only tells you it's pumping and not totally dead. If you got a Bluetooth OBDII dongle, you can monitor your inverter coolant temperature. Also check the temperature sensor itself.

davecook89t likes this.
  8. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would say there is still a possibility the pump is bad, particularly if the pump you used as a replacement was not OEM. For what it's worth, the pump on our Gen 2 failed suddenly a couple of years ago, and we had to leave the car at a shop about 100 miles from home. The shop did the job for what I thought at the time was a reasonable price, but later realized they probably used a replacement pump that was the cheapest one they could find. Although I was not seeing any codes or trouble lights a year or so later, I did not see much turbulence in the reservoir, so I swapped out that pump with an OEM one I ordered online, just for peace of mind.

Are you only relying on Auto Zone to read the codes? Not all of their devices are fully hybrid compliant. The easiest way to make sure you are seeing all the codes is to get a compliant reader and use an app like Dr. Prius.

There are several good choices for a reader listed in the following article:

Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

9. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe it’s the inverter one way or another call me crazy but I have no

When you did tell me to check for turbulence in IG mode or whatever it was called , I’m not sure . I pressed the button twice no gas pedal, and it wasn’t bubbling crazy but barely bubbling but moving. It may be the pump it wasn’t oem so it probably gave way.

10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    When you say bubbling, you mean turbulence - right?? Bubbling would indicate air in your cooling system; which would cause system overheat and shutdown. Check for leaks and burp your system!!
    The amount of turbulence is dependent on the ECU-Inverter temperature sensor feedback loop. The cooler the inverter, the less turbulence.

davecook89t likes this.