1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shut off while driving. Check hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Oct 8, 2016.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My prius keeps turning off. On monday i was driving home from school and i was at a red light and when the light turned the car stalled and the check hybrid system came on. I turn the car off and on and i was able to drive home but the car keep the engine running like it was a full gasoline car. The energy moniter didnt display any current flow. But i could see the battery bars go up. Ac was still working and i was still getting a 14.4 charge on my 12v battery. It just didnt want to go into hybrid mode. I wasn't able to take to the dealership because of work, school and hurricane Matthew. Now today I'm trying to make it to the dealership but it keeps shut the engine off after about a minute or 2 drive. Only way for me to turn the car on is if I unplug the 12v battery for about a minute and plug it back it. The all systems will work till it shuts it's self off then it would let me drive on hv battery till it runs out. 1475950380734-1990104359.jpg

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have your Prius towed on a flat bed to a dealership before you get stranded in traffic somewhere which might be any moment considering that you have been driving it in a weakened condition since Monday. A Prius is a very reliable car.....until it isn't. Time for a remanufactured or new HV battery.

3. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This prius choosing not to be reliable to me... the engine just been replaced a month ago because the other engine blew a head gasket. And the engine it got replaced with only had 32k on it when I got it.... I starting to think I should of went with a different vehicle.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read many of your earlier posts. You might have the ability to do a DIY repair on your HV battery. A thousand times easier than a DIY head gasket that's for sure. Please keep us up to date on your progress. We're all rooting for you.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked your inverter coolant loop for coolant flow? It could be a bad coolant pump. When your inverter gets warm, the system shuts down.

m.wynn likes this.
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The HV battery has a very long warranty. Also, don't just assume the HV battery is bad. It could be a lot of things, even a loose cable.

7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds very much like it could be IPM/inverter failure. If the car is throwing P0A94, you'll be covered under ZE3 warranty. Wouldn't that be almost like catching a break with that hell-prius of yours?.. Good luck with it.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another quick question, does it have enough oil?

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you have the inverter warranty replacement done during the recall?

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There was no inverter replacement for the recall. It was a software update that was flashed to the ECU, it was a 2-step update, if I recall correctly.

11. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    check if your HV battery is over heating...

12. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe something wasn't reconnected properly after the engine replacement? Lots of ideas of things to check in this thread, knowing the DTC codes from the computer would be helpful. Sounds like you need to have this evaluated by a dealer. Note that the 14.4 volts is the charging voltage of the small 12 v battery; you want to check that voltage that batter can provide after the car sits and before you go into ready. Good luck!