1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shuts off after jump start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chrobb, Aug 21, 2011.

1. chrobb

chrobb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't been able to successfully jump my 2010 Prius. It sat for about a month and the 12v battery is dead. I've connected everything up as described in the manual. I've kept the second car at about 2K RPM for about 5 minutes to charge the Prius. I am able to get the Prius to start up just fine, but as soon as I disconnect the jumper cables, it dies right away. I've tried getting the Prius engine to come on for several minutes, but as i understand it, there's no alternator, so that's probably not helping charge the 12V battery.

I've gone through this cycle about three times now with the same results. Every posting I've seen doesn't indicate anything special needed after you disconnect the cables. Is there something I'm missing?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have a battery charger? If not, get one and charge the 12v outside of the car. Could be it is not accepting the charge in the short time-frame.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've personally witnessed utterly bizarre behavior in a Gen II when the 12V battery has a dead cell. Test the terminal voltage with a voltmeter. If it is less than 11V, just skip the charger and go straight to replacement.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 on what seilerts says.

Still something doesn't sound right here.

As I understand it, once the Ready light comes on, 12V power having
    come from a jump or the onboard 12V battery, 12V power comes from
    the HV battery via the DC-to-DC inverter. As this point the 12V battery
    is still in line, but acting as a buffer. Not being all that e-smart, I don't
    know if the 12V battery is in a parallel or series circuit.

If the car dies when the external power source is removed that would
    seem to indicate two possible problems:
    * a dead 12V battery, and no output from the DC-to-DC inverter,or
    * if the 12V battery is in series with the DC-to-DC inverter an open
    circuit, "dead cell?" in the 12V battery

Given the potential high repair costs, I hope it's not the first.

Folks with greater e-savy than me, what do you say?

1 person likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your dead 12V battery is dragging down the 12V bus. If you can't recharge the 12V battery you will need a replacement.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. chrobb

chrobb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alright. A family member has an external charger that I'm going to try tomorrow. I did put a voltmeter on it. When connected to the running car via the cables, it's reading 12V. When disconnected, it doesn't really register anything.

So, could it just be that when I'm jumping the car with my other car, it's not transferring sufficient charge into the battery? I gave it about 5-6 minutes on 2500 RPM.

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    chrobb,

Jump starting a Prius is a wholly different matter than jumping the
    garden variety ICE powered car.

if the problem is only a discharged 12V battery, you only need enough
    power to boot one onboard computer. It's not much, think about the
    size of the battery in a laptop computer. IIRC, if you know what you're
    doing, you can use a handful of C or D "flashlight batteries" to do it.
    (FWIW, I'm not one of these people.)

In my experience, you do not need to recharge the Prius' depleted 12V
    battery to start the car.

I know from having done it that with the 12V battery totally
    disconnected, when you connect an appropriate 12V source to the jump
    terminals under the hood, with a simple push of the Power button the
    car goes immediately into the Ready Mode.

In the Prius, there is no starter motor that you'd recognize. Once the
    Prius boots up, the HV, High Voltage, battery is used to spin MG1,
    Motor-Generator1, as a starter. The dinky little 12V is not used to start
    the ICE.

I'm hardly an expert in these matters. Most everything I know comes
    from comments made by PC members in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...2v-battery-glove-box-remedy-2.html#post557167

I'm hoping others post up on this.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Batteries can fail in such a way that they can't take charge. In some cases they act like a big load or short, sucking down current without ever getting charged. That's what yours is doing.

It may be that it will recover if you give it time on a charger, but then it might not.

When powered up, you should see something like 13.8 volts on your 12V bus. What you are reading is way too low, indicating that the battery is dragging down the bus. Disconnect the battery and put it on an external charger. You need to keep a close eye on it, as Prius batteries are small and easily damaged by overcharging.

I will be really surprised if you get out of this without replacing the 12V battery.

Tom

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please quantify 'doesn't really register anything'. There's usually at least 1 or 2 volts in even the most deeply discharged, heavily sulfated battery. If it is truly 0V, then there is a short inside the case and it is no wonder that the car shuts down immediately.

Running the donor vehicle at high RPM while trying to jump a Prius can fry fusible links and electronics such as the inverter.

10. chrobb

chrobb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It registered between 1 and 2 volts. I ran the other car about about 2500 RPMs. The manual states that one should give it about 5 minutes of elevated RPMs.

I think I'm just going to tow it to the dealer and have them deal with it. The electrical system sounds complex enough that I don't want to fry anything and void my warranty. It's not my primary vehicle, so I can stand to have it in the shop and get this done right.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My suggestions:

(1) Don't apply a regular external charger while the battery is installed in the car. To protect the car's electronics, pull the battery out on the bench. Like previous respondents, I'm betting this battery is not salvageable.

(2) Don't try to jump the Prius with a running car anymore. If it was going to work, it would have already worked. If it is going to work at all, it will work with the jumping car's engine turned off.

(3) I think -- but let the experts chime in first -- that you should be able to jump start the Prius while its 12V battery is disconnected, and it should stay on until you turn it off. If it quits when the jump is disconnected, then there is an additional failure. Just make sure that the positive cable doesn't short to the negative cable or the chassis.

Very good call. The cost of 'user error' can run well into 4 figures.

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, a reading of 2V means there is no chance whatsoever of recovering an OEM battery. Might as well pull it out and get another one. Research Battery Minder, Battery Tender, or Optimate, to keep that new battery at the proper float charge, so as to avoid this problem in the future.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is correct. If a bad 12V battery is the problem, the battery can be disconnected, the Prius jump started, and then driven to the dealership. Once started, the 12V bus is powered from a DC to DC converter so the battery is unnecessary.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I suspect this is what has happened, check the fusible links near the jump points.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... first off... don't rev the other car... 2nd... you're shorting out the prius when you disconnect the other car.. further more, you're shorting out the other car by connecting it to your dead battery.

the other car doesn't eve have to be on. it take very little power to start a prius.. very little.. all you are doing is switching on 3 computers (or so)...

disconnect your battery and toss it.. if you really are curious, connect your jumpers (with your 12v out) and turn the car on (other car OFF!)... your car should boot up quickly... now disconnect the jumpers.. your car should stay on till you power down... if it doesn't, you probably caused other problems in your 1st jump attempt.

prius doesn't run off the 12v.. it runs off the traction battery.. it just boots up those computers with the 12v.