1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius software updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pandalover, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am aware that the Prius has a number of seperate computer systems for engine management, entertainment etc

I have not seen much discussion about soft/firmware upgrades for the Prius other then map updates for satnav.

Are there multiple firmware versions floating around? Would you expect the dealer to update your car during a service or did Toyota get it right first time?

Are there any benefits to one firmware over another? Improved full economy etc?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there are multiple firmware revisions for the engine ECU and hybrid vehicle ECU, which primarily impact earlier 2G model years. I am not aware of any revisions for the 2009 model year since that was the last 2G production year.

At the time that the new firmware became available, an SSC (special service campaign, aka recall) was announced to owners of the affected model years. An individual owner can check his vehicle's VIN with any Toyota dealer to determine whether any SSCs are outstanding.

When a TSB is announced (not an SSC) the intent is to provide dealer techs with info about what to do if a particular customer's vehicle demonstrates a problem. If your car does not have that problem then nothing will be done to it.

The point of using current firmware is to enhance the reliability of the vehicle - for example, reducing the likelihood of an engine no-start condition or weird powertrain behavior. Improved fuel economy is not a benefit.

dave77 likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Arif Ahmed

Arif Ahmed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there an update for the 2007 Gen 2? If so, how can I get it?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If firmware revisions become available or necessary for your car, they will be applied by Toyota when you are there for your regular service. If you don't use Toyota, you will not get the updates.

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Follow the link in #2. Lots of info there

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately USA TSBs don't necessarily translate well to NZ, just like they won't apply in Europe, UK or Africa.

9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What if for instance, I've got a used USA Prius, and maybe I don't use any dealership to fix em. Does it mean, I can't use the tsb, to fix them? I know the whole costs lies on me. I think its just the technical stuff I'd be interested in.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, how do you envisage that would work? Surely you will not be shipping the car back to a USA dealer to have the ECU(s) updated. Not sure if the dealers would be set up to update ECU(s) on the bench. But in any case, it is incumbent on the importer to ensure they have access to all needed networks to provide the appropriate level of service for their customers in the market in which they operate. Always has been the issue here for grey imports.

11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's my point. What I'm infested in is not the dealer carrying all that updates for me, if the car in question was a used one, and surpassed warranty and all that.

The cost of doing that definitely falls on me. It would be foolish of anyone to ship the car back to the USA for such updates.