1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius sometimes hesitates.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Higgins909, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius, 174k (think that's the number) level 3 trim. I've taken note that I need to clean out the EGR pipe/cooler and intake manifold and maybe something else. Can I pay someone to do this? Will toyota do it? Back onto topic. The last 2 times it's limped/hesitated is one time it was cool, cold engine, A/C low or off, 2-3 bar HV. I go to pull out onto the main road and it just doesn't want to accelerate. Later that day, leaving work, cold engine, very hot, crank ac, make it to the bank, sit at bank for a while. HV is somehow fully charged. I leave and go to accelerate and it revs up a tiny bit and you can feel it pull, then the rpms die down and it accelerates slower and pressing the gas again didn't make it go any faster. Full throttle was snail pace. Or maybe I didn't go to the bank and sit idle for a long time. I can't really remember that well as it was about 2 weeks ago and I didn't take much of a note.

Either way, the engine will give a little rev up and you can feel some acceleration, then the rpms lower and it pulls slower. Like I'm trying to floor it and it's doing 1mph acceleration every 2 seconds. Toyota has done all the service up to 120k if not more. (that website is super slow) While it usually does 2-3 every second when I'm going 10-30mph. I can hear the HV fan at times. One time I had a scan gauge and I don't think the fan went over 50%. Maybe it's time to hook the gauge up again? There are no warning lights. I've been wondering if it could be the CVT? I have no idea about changing or checking it's oil.

Is there anything else for me to look for? Is this just because of the EGR? I keep wanting to put money into some minor things like tires and alignment, and a A/C check, but I don't want to put a handful of money into something and have it die in 2k or 6 months or something.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, toyota will do it for about $1,000. look for a local mech who might be less expensive.

there are a lot of items that don't throw codes, but might be the culprit once your over 100k or so.

would you be financially capable of trading up to a newer car?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since there's yet more detailed info, I would say it sounds like HV battery temp is beyond the operating temp threshold so for that moment, HV battery goes in protection mode which disables charging & discharging so without the inverter only ICE is trying to propel the car. Easiest thing to do is pull over to a complete stop on P, or if you're already stationary, turn on the A/C and let the HV fan circulate cold air in the bat pack. If you don't pull over, ICE will try to keep charging both the HV bat and keep car in motion.

The other thing could be a fuel delivery issue, some how fuel isn't being transferred steadily from the tank to the cylinders. Could be & not limited to lack of fuel pressure, dirty/clogged fuel filter & etc.

Pluggo and Raytheeagle like this.