Prius Speaker Issue and Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kenneth E. Meyer, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Kenneth E. Meyer

Kenneth E. Meyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Gen II Prius speakers stopped working except for one in the rear door. So I took one out and checked the speaker leads and found that the speaker checked good at 4 ohms at the speaker lead after the leads plastic holder but not at the connector side lead. So there was a break at the holder due to corrosion at the pinch point of the plastic holder/strain relief. I fixed the lead by cutting out the holder and freeing the two speaker leads then soldered a small jumper wire over the corroded area on the leads. The jumper connection is not pretty but is works. Fixed all three speakers that way. Some had one lead still good so I did not jump those leads. I suspect that moisture collected at the plastic holder pinch point on the copper lead causing the leads to fail over time. See photos. IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1850.JPG

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  2. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    My 4 speakers were shot for some reason...I removed the door trim connected external speakers and they work perfect. Problem solved by replacing the 4 speakers. It was a pain removing the speakers as they were riveted to the door instead of screws... What a stupid idea by Toyota!!