1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ~sparky~, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

I recently replaced the door speakers in my 2005 Prius and LOVE THE DIFFERENCE ! I put together a little step-by-step guide (adobe acrobat / pdf format) to help others who may be thinking of undertaking this little project. It's quite simple and straightforward.

The attached document provides photos and details for rear door speaker replacement on a ‘base’ non-JBL system, but should be very relevant (although maybe a slight bit different) for the ‘premium’ JBL system, and for replacing front speakers (which I also did).

I replaced the rear speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 62.7i, 6 ½†two-way loudspeakers and the front door speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 60.7cs 6 ½†two-way component speakers. Both sets included adapters that facilitate simple mounting in the Prius’ larger enclosures (most speakers would require purchase of a separate adapter). Both sets also feature crossovers that provide much better sound separation. There is no interference with the windows - they are able to roll down normally.

Thanks to everyone who has posted such comprehensive and valuable information on the priuschat.com website – I found this website to be an incredibly valuable resource as I prepared for and took delivery of my new 2005 Prius Package 4/AC in Driftwood a few weeks ago, and as I considered purchases and modifications to make this great car better fit my needs. I hope others find this helpful.. it’s my way of trying to ‘give back’ a little and provide a valuable resource for others considering the same project.

THANK YOU!

Prius Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~ (PDF document)

2. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great step-by-step guide!!!

3. Michael Maddox

Michael Maddox New Member

That is a great guide. I'll be attempting this shortly, and will re-submit my opinion afterwards. :)

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I'd like to know if anyone thinks these speakers could improve the JBL "premium" system?

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the JBL system needs new tweeters. If you use these speakers with the filters he purchased, it should improve it a good amount.

6. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

the crossovers - and the ability to set the treble at +3db - really helps with the 'highs'. the difference from stock speakers to these is night & day. i'm sure it would be an improvement on the jbl system... although i hear the best improvement to both the jbl and the base system is a subwoofer :wink:

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i unclipped the tweeters to check what each speaker did. the tweeters have this mid sound to them. Not what i would expect a jbl tweeter to sound like. they probably don't have any filter to them.. i don't really expect them to.

the mids are good, but designed for mids.

a sub would be wonderful.

so.. sub and tweeters.

8. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Hey sparky,

Just curious where you placed the front door Component tweeter?

I'm hoping to take possession of my vehicle this weekend or early next week and have various ideas still for upgrading my base sound.

I'm currently kicking around the idea for front components, plus extra tweeter (fixed somewhere on dash maybe?) and mid-bass in the rear door (possibly a 2.25" depth kicker mid-bass). I'm looking to replace the radio with a Kenwood deck + XM receiver and adding either a 50w or 75wx4 amp.

And no I'm not doing the install cause I'd screw up the poor interior if I tried! hehe.. (will pay the premium as I opted for package #4 to reinvest the savings in mods)

BTW, sparky, what is your estimate as to the maximum depth of speaker the doors (f/r) can accept cleanly? (one choice was to opt for Image Dynamic brand, but these have mounting depth of 3" which might be a bit deep?)

Thanks for post and any reply~

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey HYACK. if you're looking for ideas about speaker placement, look at the Lexus configuration for speakers. It's about the same as a higher package with the JBL system.. but there are two more speakers on the dash. tucked up in the corner of each side under the windshield. soo.. in our cars, that would be in front of the small windows. The Lexus also has a sub. Good sytem if balanced right.

I'm thinking of adding two more speakers to the front of my system. I want to change out my center on my jbl.

For your tweeters, i would place them right where the jbl's tweeters are. you get good sound depth in that location. maybe forward more? I've had the chance to experiment with my system ( unclip the tweters and set them in a different spot. ) they sound good where they are.

10. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"98920)</div>
    tweeter location is same as the original tweeters - see photo below.

[Broken External Image]:http://members.cox.net/sparky0480/tweeter loc.jpg

i also have package 4/AC... GREAT CAR... and a great package - i like the HID headlights and foglights more than i thought.

while both sets of new infinity speakers are great, i'm most impressed with the 62.7i's i have in the rear doors - their sound is just as good as the 60.7cs's, and they were half the price ($85 for the pair on ebay).

the infinitys are very slim - i have heard up to 3" deep will work, but i couldn't really tell how much clearance i had since the windows were not down (nor operable) when i did my replacement... nor was i worried as the infinitys are less than 2" deep.

i'm adding then kenwood ksc-sw1 mini-sub and alpine mrp-f240 amp (50x4 rms at 2 ohms) in the rear 'hidden' compartment this weekend.

i was also planning to have a pro install everything, but the more i read on this site, the more i understood & the more confidence i had - that i could do it right. i love a project, and this has been a great one. nothing like the satisfaction of a job well done - by YOU!

IF you chose to do this yourself, you would be surprised with the simplicity of the parts & pieces, and the ease of their disassembly & reassembly. you might want to consider it if you enjoy a little weekend project...

look for posts from bobc (avatar has penguin and polar bear) - he also has done a major upgrade to the base system and has posted lots of valuable and relevant info.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

GOOD LUCK!

NORMAL POPS likes this.
  11. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi HYACK,

3" won't be a problem. There's nothing between the sheet metal of the inside panel and the sheet metal that makes up the outside panel of the door. The only limitation is the diameter of the rear of the speaker (the magnet). While the diameter of the hole is about 7" (I'm guessing on this one. I can't remember. Sparky, do you recall how big the hole is?) the limiting factor is that the window in the down position takes up some of this area.

As for the crossovers. There's tons of room inside the door. I was able to stick mine on the inside bottom of the door. I put Boston Acoustics SL60's in mine for reference.

Thanks again Sparky for the great write up. Good that you took the time to put this together since this is a common modification!

Cheers,

12. HYACK

HYACK New Member

hey, thanks Bobc for reference. So just to verify your impression here.. you are estimating that 3" depth mounting wouldn't interfere with window operation or that this depth would simply fit into the hole? The opening is 7" btw, but I guess the installer would have to determine once the panel is off, whether the magnet, et al would actually fit with full window operation - hence my gamble on whether to go with a preferred but larger and heavier (3" depth) speaker model (i.e. an Image Dynamic) and chance the fit, or go with another brand which I am confident will fit.

Thanks for the insights guys.

oh, and just to gain any additional perspective without actually having the physical comparison before me...in anyone's opinion, would you feel adequate, well balanced/harmonized 40-350 hz lows (I don't want massively amped 10" subs) could be generated by a 50w amplified mid-bass set in the rear door for instance - enough to definitely distinguish and feel?

Understand I'd prefer not to have any sub-woofer box in my cargo area if I can get away with it, as I would often use this space for multi-use; although still want a full ranged sound stage - any thoughts?? Thanks much ;)

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One thing to note/remember: On the JBL system, the front speakers have a digitally filtered crossover in the amp. So, the fullrange speakers have the highs cut off their feed from the amp, and the tweeters have the lows cut off from their feed from the amp.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  14. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the stock non-JBL system does it have any crossovers for the tweeters? Also, what kind of outputs are on the stock head unit?

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, they are passive, as in a high-pass capacitor in series with the tweeter.

LF+RF+LR+RR.

For JBL, the amp outputs are:
    LFT+LFF+C+RFT+RFF+LR+RR
    The rear tweeters tap into the rear fullrange output through a high-pass capacitor.

LFT=Left Front Tweeter
    LFF=Left Front Fullrange

16. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are those passive crossovers? Built into the HU? So no crossovers would be needed for the tweeters when replacing them.

This is the one thing I really hate about the Prius. I would like to be able to by an after market HU and still use the MFD. At least Toyota should offer up some after market options at the dealer.

My current plan is to go with a CarPC and output that to CoastalTechs Viewtech (when available early next decade) and then from the HU to an AMP for the 4 door speakers and a Kenwood amp/sub in the rear hidden storage. All new speakers too. I would still have MFD and steering control and added input from my PC. Can this work with the basic HU?

17. bobc

bobc New Member

Ugh, just had this big post all done up and lost it....

In brief:

ScubaX, the crossovers are located on the tweeters, not in the head unit with the non-JBL system. Check out the photo. It's the li'l' black thing Dan is calling a capacitor. As for the type of outputs, I know nuthin' 'bout electronics but I believe that they're high level outputs in order to power the OEM speakers. Either that, I was told to buy line output converters in order for them to get more money out of me....

HYACK, (Are you from Nyack, NY? --I think of that town everytime I see your name...) I wouldn't worry about the speaker size too much. If the speakers interfere with the window, the installers can move the speaker about 1" away from the door (Towards the car interior). If you look at Sparky's photo, you can see that the OEM speaker is mounted to the door panel. Notice the gray foam on the top of the speaker. This sits against the door trim. After my install, there's about an 1" of space between the front of the speaker and the inside of the door trim. Here's a closer view of the OEM speaker to see this 1" lip around the speaker front.

Hopefully, GAGendel can chime in on thoughts about your speaker configuration for the back and how successful that arrangement would be...

Cheers,

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Some call it a condensor, but it is a capacitor, probably a bipolar electrolytic.

19. DanH

DanH New Member

... and 3.9 uF one at that. :)

20. DanH

DanH New Member

Also as a little FYI... Based on that the speaker is a 4 ohm speaker I looked at the crosseover charts on the web and it turns out to have a cross over point of 10 kHz.