1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ~sparky~, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    - Just click on the name Tom...links to the site.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    pretty cool what he did... it looks like he did do major surgery on the rear doors. if work picks up i may buy some low profile 8"ers to stick in the back doors, but right now i can't swing it.

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was looking at these Pioneer TS-SW841D for $89:

[​IMG]

until I saw the dB rating of 85 @ 4ohm. :(

Then i found these lil JBL GTO804 beauties at $50 capable of 91 dB rating! .. hoping i Can squeeze them in with a lil surgery. May have to mount a ring like 'Tom' did to clear the rear support bar.

[​IMG]

Lots of good prices here: sonicelectronix.com

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    kenwood has some shallow mounts too, also if you got too much money, parts express has some neodymium magnet jobs but they're $153 each. nfw.

5. zenon9

zenon9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dynamat xtreme door kit
    now the idea is outside skin and inner skin coverings

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    dynamat is too expensive and too heavy. i used duct insulation from home depot. its light and only $18 for 25'.
    1/8" thick foam w/ glue on 1 side and aluminum foil on the other. seems to work good. i also bought some spray on stuff to use on the inside of the door. w/ the dayton 7" woofers, i get a pretty good thump for what it is.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you have a asphalt smell in your car afterwards? I was looking at a similar maybe the same 'peel-n-seal' but everyone says its smells too much in cars that are in hotter climates. Did u use a separate amp on the 7' subs or just swap the oem speakers out?

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    it didn't stink after i put the door panels back on; its not gonna leave a nasty odor in your car for weeks or anything. i didn't use a separate amp, i can't handle music that loud anymore. the kenwood is 4 x 22watts rms, that's more than enough for me. you could add an amp but the speaker wires are so thin you'd need to replace them.

9. dirtpimp

dirtpimp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems the link is down. Think you could make it available again? I'd truly appreciate it.

10. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here's the link to the pdf with pictures:
    http://docs.docstoc.com/pdf/5879625/96374151-072a-49c3-9d87-7d5d271dd125.pdf

Here's the instructions without pictures just in case that link stops working:
    2005 Toyota Prius – Rear Door Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~, 6.12.05

Infinity Kappa Series 62.7i - 6 ½” Loudspeakers
    New Crossover + Speaker Stock Speaker
    INF US
    2005 Toyota Prius – Rear Door Speaker Replacement Guide
    by ~sparky~, 6.12.05

Step 1: Remove door hardware - two screws, plastic piece + armrest panel
    Remove screw #1 in arm rest panel. Remove small plastic cover panel
    and screw #2 in door pull.

Remove arm rest panel – up
    gently on forward edge – it snaps
    out very easily, Disconnect automatic window
    switch.

Step 2: Remove door panel
    Unsnap door panel – pull gently
    around the edges to unsnap the
    fittings. Continue unsnapping panel around
    the bottom and up the sides; when fully unsnapped, lift panel up – be careful to not scratch windows (especially if you have tint).

I had a few stubborn white clips stay in the door – remove them from the door by pushing from the inside out – and re-attach them to
    the door panel.

Step 3: Remove stock speaker and install new mounting bracket un clip the connection at the top of the speaker.

Using a 1/8” bit, drill out the rivets – this requires a little elbow grease – don’t be gentle. Retrieve any loose parts that fall into the door (so they don’t rattle around later as you drive around). Remove the speaker – amazing how small the magnet is on the back is, and how light the entire speakers is – no wonder it sounded like that !

Attach the new plastic speaker mounting bracket provided – use two of the existing holes you just drilled the rivets out of, and drill one new
    one. Attach with three new screws and clips in the back (as provided).

Step 4: Wire and install new speaker Cut the stock connection from the end of the speaker wire you just unclipped and strip the wires; cut a
    small slit in the plastic seal to run the connections so you can connect to the back of the speaker (make sure to seal this up later !)

Connect wires (make sure to confirm +/- polarity) – my connections as shown were to a crossover. The car’s black is + and yellow is -, connected to my crossover’s red + and black – (always interesting not connecting black to black…)

Connect crossover wiring to the new speaker – this one has two connections for the tweeter (yellow and green) and two for the woofer (white and blue). Make sure to confirm +/- polarity. Attach the speaker to the mounting bracket using the four screws as provided. Be careful –
    this is the closest you will come to the delicate neoprene of the speaker cone with a sharp object !

Step 5: Seal up door panel and finish Cut a small slit to bring the crossover back thru to the front of the plastic. Tape the crossover to
    the plastic using duct tape. Use the same duct tape to re-seal the door.

Attach the door panel to the door – press gently at the points where the white clips fit back into the door. They should snap easily into place.
    Finished product !

These speakers sound fantastic. I was very surprised by both the simplicity of the job and the difference in sound quality.
    What’s next? I plan to install a Kenwood KSC-SW1 mini-subwoofer (definite) and an Alpine MRP-F240 4-channel amplifier
    (likely) in the ‘hidden’ cargo compartment. The amp can push the speakers at 50W RMS x4 at 2 ohms and has a separate
    pre-out for the sub - perfect for my situation.

If anyone has questions, PM me on the PriusChat website – my username is ~sparky~. Good luck !

SFO likes this.
  11. Hana

Hana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Sparky,

My 10-year-old Prius' door speaker busted.
    I believe here is very dry climet so the speaker corn also dried.
    For replacing the speaker, I would like to use your "Prius Speaker Replacement Guide by ~Sparky", but the site does not come up.
    Could you let me approach your guide?

Thanks, Hana

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    here it is. sparky, you are awesome, and we all love you!!!

Attached Files:

yota_mod and SFO like this.
  13. Hana

Hana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, 69shovlhed.

I opened "prius speaker.pdf" file.
    "2005 Toyota Prius – Rear Door Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~, 6.12.05" is a great guide for this old man to follow. hahaha
    I will get the speaker and try to challenge replacing them.
    By-the-way, I forgot to mention that my busted speaker is front door speaker.
    But I believe removing the front door panel should be very similar and mounting the speaker is also similar -- I hope.

Thank again, Hana.

Daves09prius likes this.
  14. ohboyitsdana

ohboyitsdana New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello are there any updated pdfs with pictures? All links are now broken. Sorry im late to the party!

nvm i see the updated PDF... any write-ups on the front door speakers?

I purchased a set of these cause they were on sale for $50.

Should I put these in the front speakers?

Thanks in advance!

#94 ohboyitsdana, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  15. ohboyitsdana

ohboyitsdana New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    JBL GTO609C Premium 6.5-Inch Component Speaker System - Set of 2

16. jasperpants

jasperpants Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Quick question for all those that have either repaired or replaced your front JBL door speakers.

Do you have to drill out the rivets to remove the existing speaker? I've taken out the screws but for the life of me I can't budge the speaker.

Thanks!

17. jasperpants

jasperpants Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Five minutes after posting I discovered they were glued in and I could pry them out!

SFO likes this.
  18. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the guide. Lots of great info. I just finished swapping out my front speakers and tweeters. I did do a bit of surgery on the tweeter mounts and reused the bottom speaker mounts.
    For the tweeter mounts I removed the stock speakers and used a dremel tool to make the opening a bit bigger and removed some of the material that held the stock tweeters. Used hot glue to attach them to the mount. It's easy to remove the screen and to replace it afterwards.
    Oh, note the two left pins and the two right pins are connected together, so all frequencies get fed to the woofers in the stock setup.

For the lower speakers (woofers), I drilled out the rivets, removed the speaker from the door, and used the shell to mount the 6.5 inch speakers I purchased. I cut out the speaker and cut out the supports from the back. I used the stock speaker connector and wire, trimmed it long and used it to mount to the new speaker. The replacement speaker lined up with the trim ring, 3 rivets and a drill, good to go. I used the stock wire already in the door.

Up by the tweeter mount is where it all comes together. Mounted the cross over next to the connectors for the electric mirrors, the crossovers are mounted with double sided tape.

Working well. I had a dead speaker so I changed out all 4 of them. My head unit is a PX5 android unit.

Ovi TM and SFO like this.
  19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you only do the rear speakers?

How is the sound now compared to before?

Also curious what the brand and ohmage the replacements were, and was this installed in a nine speaker JBL setup?

20. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No, basic only not jbl, did only front. Woofers and tweeters. The stock setup passed all to the woofers (lower door) and there's a filter for the tweeter. I purchased some basic component speakers 4 ohm off Amazon Crunch CS65C. Sounds better than stock speakers. Not inclined to do back speakers unless one breaks.

PensacolaRevitup and SFO like this.