1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Speaker Replacement Guide by ~sparky~

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by ~sparky~, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

I recently replaced the door speakers in my 2005 Prius and LOVE THE DIFFERENCE ! I put together a little step-by-step guide (adobe acrobat / pdf format) to help others who may be thinking of undertaking this little project. It's quite simple and straightforward.

The attached document provides photos and details for rear door speaker replacement on a ‘base’ non-JBL system, but should be very relevant (although maybe a slight bit different) for the ‘premium’ JBL system, and for replacing front speakers (which I also did).

I replaced the rear speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 62.7i, 6 ½†two-way loudspeakers and the front door speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 60.7cs 6 ½†two-way component speakers. Both sets included adapters that facilitate simple mounting in the Prius’ larger enclosures (most speakers would require purchase of a separate adapter). Both sets also feature crossovers that provide much better sound separation. There is no interference with the windows - they are able to roll down normally.

Thanks to everyone who has posted such comprehensive and valuable information on the priuschat.com website – I found this website to be an incredibly valuable resource as I prepared for and took delivery of my new 2005 Prius Package 4/AC in Driftwood a few weeks ago, and as I considered purchases and modifications to make this great car better fit my needs. I hope others find this helpful.. it’s my way of trying to ‘give back’ a little and provide a valuable resource for others considering the same project.

THANK YOU!

(this post is also duplicated in the 'audio & electronics' section)

[Broken External Image]:http://members.cox.net/sparky0480/open door SM.jpg

2. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

Did I miss something or should there be PDF for the front doors too?

PS Thanks for your hard work to create this.

3. jj7mueller

jj7mueller New Member

I second the thanks for the replacement discription. My down load contained only the discription for the back doors. Since I have ordered the Infinity Kappas for the front door I wonder if you have a discription for it stashed some where. I'm particularly interested if you replaced the tweeters and if you had any trouble.

4. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

Yes! Finally a guide for the 2005 Prius that was without a doubt one of the most specific ones out there for modifying the Prius sound system.

Sparky - hats off to you, and thank you for your hard work in putting together the PDF on the back doors, without it I would have been walking in circles for hours.

5. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

I recently upgraded the speakers for my front doors, and was initially worried about the procedure for taking apart the doors, especially the front tweeters on top of the door.

Well - here is some info for those interested (I took pictures while I did this - document coming in a week!) the black tweeeter speakers on the window just pull straight out, just like the rear door, they have a white plastic pin on them with a small metal tab on top. Sometimes the little metal tab works loose when you pop it out. The hole it goes in pretty much goes nowhere, so if it pulls off, just fish it out with a pair of needlenose pliers and pop it back onto the black plastic insert that is sticking out of the side of the speaker (the side that inserts into the holes).

The rest of the door has 3 connections. Door lock, window control and on the bottom is a door light. Other than that - its primarily the same as the back door.

One thing I might mention to make the job easier. Go to Best Buy and purchase the Toyota Universal Speaker adapter kit, it allows you to just plug in the adapter and then no crimping and you don't have to worry about positive/negative wiring issues.

Once the side of the door is off, drill out the speakers the same as you did the back doors, and pop them out.

There is a small hole just above the speaker (on the right door, its on the upper right of the original speaker hole) that you can make a slit and stick the wires through for the new speakers.

Once you are done. TEST your speaker before putting everything back on. When you go to put the side panel back on - BE SURE TO reconnect the door light. This was annoying because its an awkward connection. But the rest of the connections are after the door panel is back on.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Same with the left door (drivers side). Same process.

6. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What happened to the attachment?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    probably lost in the hack. Shoot Sparky and Danny a PM and ask them to repost.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not to slight Danny and crew on keeping this place running but maybe it's time to start duplicating these guides offsite, like on wikibooks or such, so that priuschat isn't a single-point of failure for the loss of Prius knowledge when something happens.

I personally did not enjoy the loss of all threads with much useful info between July and September of 2005.