1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius starts moving when first placed into gear with foot on the brake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 90miler, Nov 29, 2020.

1. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some time now, when I start up my 2009 Prius it starts moving as soon as I shift into R or D, even though my foot is still on the brake. It stops as soon as I take my foot off the brake and instantly reapply, but I'm thinking I need to do something about it, especially for when my wife drives the car. Would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction here. I did see one several year old thread on this issue under the Gen 3 forum, but no definite resolution. I saw where someone suggested replacing the 12V battery. Anyone been through this, or have any thoughts? Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Overall this is serious. I would take it in for proper diagnosis.

I will assume you have no warning lights up that might point you in the right direction. You could power cycle everything by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes and then test. But the first thing I would do before cycling power is to use a scanner and check codes. Power cycling will clear them making further diagnosis harder.

Then I might check the brake switch status to ensure the system is seeing it properly. Remember this is a brake by wire car so the ecus have to know when you are trying to brake. There is also a brake pedal stroke sensor.

Even though brake actuation is computer controlled, it still operates a hydraulic system fed by an electric pump and actuator. You would normally have warning lights and codes if the actuator was not functional. If the hydraulics had faults such as air in the system or an internal master cylinder leak, it might be possible that pumping the brakes temporarily moves the brake cylinders.

There are two calibrations that can be done of the brake system with the brake pedal stroke sensor sometimes causing trouble. The brake actuator/pump is also a frequent failure.

Again this is serious. I would take it in for proper diagnosis.
    B39CA349-8554-4DF3-A191-6220A27A07AD.jpeg