1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Stereo Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 2011priusguy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. 2011priusguy

2011priusguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A year ago my touchscreen display on my 2011 Prius went out and I came to the conclusion that it might be worth replacing it for a newer receiver with Car Play, like the Sony XAV-AX100.

I mentioned this to a Prius mechanic, who is well respected in town and he recommended against modifying anything electronically on the original Prius. His logic being: when you start to fiddle with wires and cables it can cause issues down the line with CEL's and so-forth.

Does anyone else have an opinion on that? Sites like Crutchfield make it seem very simple to upgrade and modify, but I'd likely have a pro install it to be safe. Otherwise, I'd rather keep it simple and stick to what came with the vehicle.

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I forgot who told me that, but I've heard it too. However, I can tell you that I have a aftermarket stereo in my Prius 2006 and its still working and no problems. I also have a Prius 2015 which has an aftermarket stereo and speakers and they are working too. I used crutch field to find which parts I needed and took it to someone to install it.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He may be respected, but I guess he doesn't know much about the Prius. You are not "fiddling" with wires and cables.
    You're replacing a radio. Pretty much it will all be hooked up the same way. Power, ground, antenna, speakers... Maybe with
    some minor changes. Several people have replaced the stock radio with no problems, or minor ones. I haven't read
    where anyone had any check engines lights because of it. Maybe they have, I just haven't notice any.
    Just follow the instruction and be careful with your work.

4. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just put a new radio on my 2010 Prius 3. It was a direct swap and pretty straight forward. I think what complicates things is when AC and other vehicle controls are in the radio. In my case it wasn't so it was pretty easy. Nothing about it being a prius makes it any different.