1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius still emissions testing exempt in Maryland?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SW03ES, Sep 9, 2006.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey guys,

We just got a notice for emissions testing on the Prius, I thought the Prius was exempt in Maryland through 2009?

Has something changed or is this an error?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I say go for it. Make sure you stealth into the bay. :D

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Might be fun LOL

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For those of you not from Maryland, the emissions test is done on a dynonometer. The owner is not allowed to "drive" the car during the test; that is done by the guy doing the emissions test. For some reason, during the interview for screeners they don't bother asking if they can drive a standard transmission car. It would be comical if it weren't for the fact that they are beating your car to death. I can only imagine what they would do with a Prius on the test stand.

As far as I know we are still exempt. I'd recommend taking the notice to the closest inspection station and checking with them. I'd want to get the notice stamped "exempt" (or whatever they do) rather than relying on just calling the MVA (<-- what a joke that would be).

With the new cars, they don't even run them, they just hook up to the diagnostics plug under the dashboard. If the car says that it's running fine, that's good enough for them. However, doesn't the Prius use a totally different communications protocol? I guess the MVA will have to start employing droids that speak Botchi.

5. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the link. I didn't realized that only the Insight and the Prius were exempt from the emissions test.

7. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing to note, though it won't apply for the Prius anyway, is that for most newer vehicles they do not use the dynamometer. The test consists of checking your gas cap for proper seal and plugging their computer into the connector in your car, so all the emissions info is simply downloaded from the vehicle computer.

This test is much more efficient and eliminates the potential for damaging transmissions, tires, undercarriages, etc.

Past cars I have taken for testing, a 1995 Mustang was put on the dyno, but my 1996 Volvo 850 was not.

Now I live in Arizona, so I will need to get the Prius emission tested when it hits 5-years old.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One quick phone call and they fixed it, no need to bring it in.

Yes, you're right. For new cars they no longer use the dyno to test the emissions. I got it done on the Lexus not too long ago and was relieved they didn't have to do it anymore.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plenty of scan tools do CAN nowadays; that's no longer an issue.
    _H*

10. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if Texas will eventually be able to exempt the Prius from emissions testing. The fees to have the inspection and emissions test is pretty high, having to pay $40 bucks in addition to the registration you have to renew every year.

11. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Oct 9 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]330348[/snapback]</div>
    All I know is that I had to bring my old Saturn in for emissions only a couple of months before I replaced it with the Prius -- which means I spent that money on the test for totally nothing! Somehow now learning I won't ever have to do it again (I live in Maryland) makes it seem like even *more* of a waste! <G>