1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius stopped randomly and emergency brake turned on while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Suede1000, May 16, 2022.

1. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was driving yesterday for like 3/4 hours it was weird ,because my AC seemed to stop working that day and it never does stop. So my AC blows hot air all day and suddenly the car stops while driving …emergency brake automatically comes on and a red triangle. Never had a emergency brake come on while driving and a red triangle so that was weird . As dramatic as it sounds I pulled over turned the car off for 30 mins and drove it back home 10 Miles no issues and my AC blows cold all of a sudden again???? I turn it on to drive to autozone and still no issues or anything and now my ac is cold again. Scanned it and only minor codes like Evap leak and (p1121 ( coolant control valve which is a new code ) evap leak I been riding around with some months doesn’t seem to affect anything , and seems totally unrelated to the issue because how does a car turn off and emergency brake automatically come on??? Did the car over heat ? Or ? I’m not sure this is very weird .

2. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I’m not a car person it wasn’t my e brake but I have no other explanation because as soon as the car had the red triangle and no power . I seen a brake light on the dash and a grinding sound as if the e brake was activated . A loud grinding sound until it was parked … I turned the car off and back on no sounds smooth sailing ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the a/c working again?

4. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes , just fine . No sounds from the car everything is fine . Not sure why or how either.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the inverter pump was acting up. any idea where the grinding sound was coming from?

you can check it by looking in the reservoir for fluid movement with the car on and engine off.

another thing to check is the battery cooling fan and intake grille. maybe the battery was overheating

6. Suede1000

Suede1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok so I just checked and the car is in battery mode and the fluid isn’t moving the gas engine isn’t on at the moment as it’s running on the electric moxie in indle but it’s staying still (the fluid)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a fuse for the inverter pump, AM2 maybe? see if it is in your manual, or google it and click on prius chat hits.
    if it is blown, you probably need a new pump. also, the wiring should be checked at the plug for corrosion.
    lots of threads here and youtube on replacement. if you need one, buy oem.