1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by adamorzol, Apr 18, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]426159[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there is a WeePri funny car on the drawing board... :D

2. g_guttebo

g_guttebo Junior Member

Hi....

Instead of 'super charging' the ICE how about 'super torque(ing)' the motor/generator end, with added batteries and modified electrical?

Perhaps somehow greatly increase voltage (or cycles or whatever) to the motor/generators for enough seconds to get to desired speed in a real hurry, then immediatly shift back to normal operating mode. The motor/generator(s) could probably stand short periods (<6 seconds)of 'super stress' w/o damaging or overheating them. (Not sure exactly how the PSD works, so don't know how 'super torque(ing)' the MG's (assuming it is possible) would affect the ICE (wouldn't want it to suddenly stall or start trying to run 'backwards'...)

An 'all electrical' super-charge mod might be easier/cheaper than mechanical mods to the ICE provided there is an electrical engineer wiz out there that can figure it all out, then show us all how to do it....

At any rate .... would 'supercharging' and/or 'super torque(ing)' a Prius mean that some of the mechanicals down stream from the MG's and ICE need to be beefed up as well? Wouldn't do to put the 'pedal to the metal' and end up munching the PSD or some other part in the drivetrain.

Gary...

3. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNWIRED @ Apr 17 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]425131[/snapback]</div>

It's been done

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2567/article.html

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garyg @ Apr 26 2007, 02:25 AM) [snapback]430334[/snapback]</div>
    You know, now that you mention it, didn't the Prius GT (the one-off from a while back) have the output of the motor bumped up a bit for performance purposes...?

I think this is a really interesting idea.

Wondering if there might be a software tweak somehow that would limit torque under wide open throttle/low or no speed conditions, saving the driver from that constant "did I just accelerate too hard and shock the driveline?" fear that's all too common in cars with increased power output and stock everything else.

5. carlisle

carlisle New Member

A friend of mine once told me that his brother's Prius had this supercharger and chip that really made a difference in the car's HP... So, I tried it also on my GMC and only found a GMC performance chip... It was really a waste of time and money... It made some improvement but only a little... Later I found out that it was not a supercharger and chip that increased my friend's brother's car HP.. But a permanent-magnet electric drive motor that produces a maximum power of 50 kW (67 horsepower) from 1,200-1,540 RPM, and peak torque of 295 lb.-ft. from 0-1,200 RPM. Now his Prius produces 110 combined horsepower with its gas engine and electric motor... Good luck!!!

6. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNWIRED @ Apr 18 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]425131[/snapback]</div>
    Not an easy answer...but you should take a look at the video on the hydrogen converted prius. They lost power during the conversion and installed a turbo to compensate. No details, but it would be interesting to know what kind of perfomance gains they got.