1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius SUV or lift kit

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by krneidigh, Apr 15, 2012.

1. krneidigh

krneidigh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Weird idea, how about a lift kit or maybe Prius SUV? Something. I had my C on some ramps today and couldnt help but think, "an SUV wouldnt be half bad." It wouldnt even have to get 50MPG, 40MPG would be amazing. Or how about a 4" lift kit?

2. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That reminds me of neighbors I had once that lifted their Chevy astro van and put 34" bog hog tires. Seemed like such a mismatch for the car but oddly fitting for them

I doubt it'd be remotely considered given the aero drag, the shifter center of gravity, the tires and rims adding weight and the weaker engine to begin with.

I'm sure the highlander hybrid platform could accommodate this idea tho

3. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    haha i would never do this to a prius C just because of the engine. Its far too weak. The change in aero and a shift in the center of gravity would ruin the handling. But if you did do this, i think you should go all out and use a hydraulic lift kit, that would be hilarious. A prius C jumping and bouncing, imagine that!

4. krneidigh

krneidigh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, dont get me wrong, I know it couldnt handle it. And yes a bouncing C would be hilarious. But it does beg the question why not? Cant they slap the Prius tech on like a tacoma or a tundra? GM is doing it, but it is really expensive and only gets 20MPG. I'm willing to bet they could squeeze a couple more MPG for just a couple grand more. Seriously, if they could get mid to high 20's for like 5K more the trucks would fly off the lot. The technology is there and toyota seems to have the cheapest and most reliable hybrids.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That would be hilarious with big tires and all. :) Then top it off with http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...odifications/107160-xlr8-app-ios-android.html. :D I haven't bought the app but found the video in the story to be hilarious.
    Well, there is the HyHi and the Lexus RX hybrid. There's also Ford and Toyota to Collaborate on Hybrid Truck Technology | Hybrid Cars.

6. Charles73

Charles73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I installed spring spacers on my 2012 Prius 4. Purchased at autozone $9 per kit , 2 kits needed.
    Installed the 1 to 11/2 kit in rear and the 2 to 21/2 kit in front. This brought the car up 1 inch all around.
    It now clears my drive way. Mileage was not affected. I recorded the same gas mileage over 2 tanks after installation,
    no change. Slightly firmer feel on road.

SFO likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius c in Japan does have an "outback" version called the Aqua X Urban, complete with body cladding and a raised suspension. (almost an inch higher)

[​IMG]

SFO likes this.
  8. roadrunner

roadrunner His (blue) and hers (black).

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    "I installed spring spacers on my 2012 Prius 4. Purchased at autozone $9 per kit , 2 kits needed.
    Installed the 1 to 11/2 kit in rear and the 2 to 21/2 kit in front. This brought the car up 1 inch all around."

Does that effect your wheel alignment?

9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is certainly true that the Prius is a highly refined package which is focused on maximum mpg. If you look closely at a Gen IV Prius, you will see a little "paddle" in the rear wheel well that is added to deflect air. Those engineers have done everything reasonably feasible to get the performance and mileage out of the car. One cannot just "slap the Prius tech" onto another vehicle and expect to get any improved performance out of it at all. Think of all of the variables that are present in a Prius: aero drag, battery size and position, motor size, engine size, gear ratio (the Prius has one gear and is never disengaged under normal circumstances), cabin size and shape. It's a mpg package, not just tech slapped on.

10. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Or how about adding a turbo to that little 1.5 liter banger, for those brief moments when you feel like throwing high gas mileage out the window so you can merge quicker while entering the highway in front of that 18 wheeler barreling down on you at 75 mph :)

11. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But it does exist! The C-HR is available as a hybrid in some countries, just not USA. It's a jacked up FWD car.

12. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The C-HR seems like an interesting car. Reviews are mixed so far, but mostly positive. I wonder why they are not offering the hybrid version in the US.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause it was originally scheduled to be a Scion and Scion will never sell a hybrid vehicle. It's also the reason why the CH-R is monospec even though it's a Toyota now.

14. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    heck I would be fine with some road noise dampening

15. dropyourrock

dropyourrock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Would probably end up being just a different version (rebadge or facelift) of the Rav4 Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid....