1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Team: provide process, once order has been submited

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by XMAN LIVE, May 26, 2009.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What would have you assuming that the first car coming has to be a demo?
    Mine's for a celebrity.

2. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne, I'm a little confused by your post. Let me break it down:

So what you said here is that a preference simply tells the region what cars they should build for your zone. Is that correct? Because later, you said this:

And that is exactly what I said preferencing is. You ask your region for the car(s) you PREFER to get.

You are correct when you say I can send over 1,000 preferences. But I will only get one filled per allocation (speaking in regards to the 2010 prius only). Here is the letter from the chicago region verifying this fact:

And, I am 100% sure that it does go against your allocation numbers. Let me ask you this. If you preference 5 cars and are allocated 10, how many will hit your lot? According to what you said above, if I am reading it correctly, you will receive 15 cars. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you will receive no more than your allocated number. Within that allocated number contain the car(s) you preferenced.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Diane;
    You speak of "earning cars", how do you earn cars?
    Let's say you have an alocation of 10 Prius for the month of May, but you could sell 15. How do you get to that point where you get your alocation increased?
    It sounds like getting your alocation increased for any specific vehicle is a VERY slow process.
    David (aka Blind Guy)

4. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Perhaps our regions handle their first few early cars differently?

I will earn what I earn.
    If I earn 40, I will get 40.
    If I preference 20, then I will probably get the 20 I preferenced "the way I wanted them" and the last 20 will be wild cards, which isn't smart because then you end up with the "whatever no one else wanted first" cars. To be on the safe side, you always preference more than what you think you may earn. I go 20+% over often. If I think we'll get 40, I will preference 50. There is no harm in that.

And, the preferencing is only as good as the ordering in your region. If I see we do not get III's with sunroof in SoCal, it does me no good to preference one. I'd ask for something we DO get that's good, and pray like hell if we do not pre-sell it, we at least can trade it for something that is sold, even if I have to go out of the state to locate it.

Have I answered your questions?

Dianne, who's been with Toyota for pretty much 30+ years, I lost count. :)

5. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well basically the way you had worded your previous post about dealers only getting one car on May 29th.
    I guess i misunderstood you, but I did quote it.

6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You establish a travel rate for cars.
    It's calculated on a days from arrival to sale ratio.

Since everyone's already got a track record for Prius, we see how many cars are earned by prior history of Prius sales.

If I have 10 cars earned, and I need 15, then to get the extra 5 cars, I have to either dealer trade around to get the other 5 somehow or beg region for some extras out of their extra allotment (pool) to satisfy my demand. For a high demand car, it would be hard to trade for one if I have none to come back, so it would mean that the 5 orders I couldn't fill would have to wait for my next allocation(s).

How you turn and earn and improve is to sell them as fast as possible.

Dianne

7. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    one car etc

It's OK Steve.

I have had more than 1 person email me or call me and assume our first car would just sit here all weekend so they could drop by to see it and drive it. That's not how they are working this in CA. What we get after tomorrow is for sale, unless someone's already spoken for it.

8. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate your post! This is good to know . . . and helpful.

9. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We can actually preference 100 cars if we like, but we can only get one filled. That is what was quoted by the memo, and that memo is still in effect for June.

Exactly what I said in my original post. Preferences go against your allocation. Whether or not they get filled, makes no difference in the number of cars you get allocated and delivered to your store.

So, you are saying the exact same thing as I did in my original post when you said I was "only 50% correct again.":D

It must be the regional "car terms" that we are being silly over. I understand exactly how you do your preferences/allocations. It is the same way as us. We were just describing it differently I guess.

:kiss:

10. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well I am in the Cincy region as well (Nashville) and have a black v with atp on order. Scott, the DM is suppose to be pulling hard for me but who actually knows. Thank goodness I have my diesel to drive until the Prius comes in.

I hope that it does as I gave a dealer in Memphis a $500 non-refundable deposit for him to put in a priority allocation. To be honest, I am not holding my breath that my actual car will get allocated to me this year. Good thing I am not a previous Prius owner or I would be going CrAzY!

Scott

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

In CAT we can preference as many vehicles as we want ... but the kicker is that it's just that a preference ... not a guarantee.

"Given that we are going to get 20 vehicles we'd prefer that 10 of them look like this"

If we preference 10 vehicles which are backed up by 10 firm orders from an expected shipment of 20 vehicles we may or may not get all these vehicles. We will still get 20 vehicles but maybe only 5 of them will match our 'preferences' the other 15 are what the region and the GM/GSM negotiate. The other 5 preferences roll over to the next allocation.

Since all the Prius' are essentially pre-built with only limited variations what we are actually doing is telling the regional office what vehicles we'd prefer to have off the next shipment to the dock. That boat may or may not have what we want on it. Thus we have to wait until the next vessel arrives.

It sounds like the same system that you understand in Chicago.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You're still the celebrity dealer? Sweet. Package V?

13. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Deadphish. It works the exact same way. I went and re-read what I originally posted, and can now understand how it could have been misconstrued.

So, even though it was described 3 different ways, once all three are read, it is all the same system

14. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Someone please call a Gulf State Toyota rep and tell them to re-think their deployment method. Customers are in the dark and issue need to be corrected. Please read thread:
    Is GST Region dead last in releasing new Prius?
    Prius Team please get on the horn, and let move Forward with selling cars.

15. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just wanted to follow up with you, since you ordered a Prius V, I have ordered the same on June 13, 2009. I heard today 08/04/09, it should arrive at the dealership late this month. Have you rec'd your's yet and what is the latest the dealership is telling you on your arrival???

I think the car is great and can't wait for it to arrive since I have not seen a V anywhere. But from what I see as to the Options and equipment I don't think we will be unhappy with the choice. I agree with you as well, it would be nice to see some tracking and be able to estimate and see progress. How cool would that be. Anxious to hear what your status is and if you have rec'd your Prius V or when it was coming.

16. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A Priori I would love to hear when you get your new Prius V and how long it took from the time you placed the deal with the dealership. I am also getting a V and can't wait. Was told today it should be here around the end of the month. I ordered on June 13, 2009.

Thanks!

17. armymom

armymom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have also order a prius V with ATF/white first of june, told I am on the top of the list, my dealer quite, so the manager has taken over my order...I was hoping for cash for clunkers....ha ha...Am in Michigan. Was told maybe in September....we will see. Was told maybe I should buy a lexus....I thought that was weird

18. armymom

armymom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ordered mine in June, V, White blizzard, driving assistance, back up, still no car, told top of list, dealer quite job, manager helping me now, maybe in September Live in michigan. We will see, hoping for cash for clunkers...ha ha.... not fair. Told to buy a lexius right

1 person likes this.
  19. armymom

armymom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well it is the end of september and no word. Told only 5% of the V come to the US. Live in Michigan so maybe they are not selling any cars because of the economy so I will never get mine. Have $1,000 down on it. Sure hope I get money back if I dont get car. Family tells me to buy something else since they don't want my business

20. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same boat as you, I ordered with a $500 deposit a IV with solar roof on June 2nd. Still no word about when or even if I will get it. Dealer says I am at top of list for over 5 weeks now. Now I am asking for exact color combo too, so yes I am picky I want what I ordered no substitutes.