1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Three VIN, but options don't match?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by timwasson, Oct 17, 2013.

1. timwasson

timwasson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a Prius for my wife from an online auto auction. The VIN is "JTDKN3XXXXXXXX" Which I investigated a bit. In 2013, the 6th digit of the VIN indicates the model number, in this case, "3".

I checked out the options list for the 2013 Prius Three and was pleased with what I saw. Unfortunately, this car does not seem to be equipped with the Three options, including backup camera, navigation, and smart-key access on 3 doors.

My wife doesn't care much about these options, and I don't really feel "misled", because the auction site never listed those specific options. I just thought I was being smart by figuring out the model number (not referred to in the auction), and the options list myself.

So, I guess my question is, where did I go wrong? Is this really not a Prius Three, or are those options really not standard on a 2013 Prius Three?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For 2013 a Three should have backup camera, 3 door sks and navigation in the 6.1 inch display audio unit.

I don't think the 3 after JTDKN denotes the vehicle is a model Three. Here's a post I made with info on what means waht in the VIN for 2010, doubt it's much different now.

Meaning of VIN | PriusChat

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you received incorrect information regarding the significance of the "3" in the VIN.
    I had a 2012 Prius Five which had a "3" in the same place in the VIN.
    I currently have a 2012 Plug-In Prius that also has a "3" in the same place in the VIN.

EDIT .... looks like Paradox posted while I was researching my VIN's... but we both came to the same conclusion.

4. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. timwasson

timwasson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure we got a Prius Two with some additional features, but it is definitely not a Three.

Oh well, we still got a great deal on it. We can add the backup camera relatively easily/inexpensively, and my wife doesn't really care about the navigation or smart keys. Thanks for the help guys.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    FYI, roman numerals were only used in 2010 so you have a Two. Just want you to be versed in the 'proper' model you have being its a 2013. Enjoy the vehicle as I am certain you and your wife will. :)

7. timwasson

timwasson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I'm still catching on to the Prius terminology. Prius Two it is!

We're enjoying the car a lot. My wife called this morning during a rain storm talking about how great the back windshield wiper was. I'm glad she's easy to please.

WE0H and Paradox like this.
  8. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    chop shop prius:D