1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Tint & Window Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by aceyprime, Feb 28, 2013.

1. aceyprime

aceyprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I need some advice...

Just bought a used 2010 Prius a short while ago and had my windows tinted by the same guy who's done a few other vehicles we owned (he does a fantastic job and has been tinting for years). He completes the tint but tells me the passenger front window has too much movement and so it doesn't line up right when the window is all the way up.

When you lower the window a couple of inches (and for the rest of the way down) the tint is perfectly aligned. When you raise it beyond a couple of inches down (and all the way up) the window shifts to the side and there's a visible gap between the tint and the edge of the window. The tint guy says that there's a problem with the window and it shouldn't move like that. Dealership says there's no problem with the window and it's designed to have some movement. Other windows have no problems.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't had tint installed on a Prius but I do have a suggestion. Why not take the car to another tint shop and maybe another Toyota dealer and see if they tell you the same thing. I would think one of the two has to be wrong and if the other windows don't move that way the tint shop may be right.

The door cards are easy to get off (check the audio forum below) you could remove it and see where the movement is coming from.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like it might have a loose guide track bolt.

Blu-ray likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I tinted my own no gap

5. aceyprime

aceyprime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the suggestion - much appreciated. Where would the loose bolt be in relation to the window itself?

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bolt/stud and nut is usually at the bottom of the guide track. Just about any fasteners in the window mechanism could affect the position of the window.

7. molsky99

molsky99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly the same thing happened to my driver window when I tinted it. The window shifted as you put it up creating a gap on the side. My tint guy said its quite common and other car brands have done this. He said the only fix is taking to the dealer. I'm curious what your outcome was?

8. Gabriel Martinez

Gabriel Martinez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got mine tinted and no gap

9. Henry D

Henry D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same problem. Mine has a 16th of an inch off. Ive always done my windows and pride myself in getting it right. I removed the paper 3 times with the same results. Your guy is right. Its the movement in the window. Toyota is cutting to many corners in terms of quality.

10. ikagan

ikagan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same problem, Dealer said movement is normal. Will have to remove the door panel to check for myself.

11. RayRN87

RayRN87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just got a used prius IV, tinted all the windows, the font driver side has gap in the corner and I took it back to tint shop and he blamed it on the shifting window also. i am still a bit skeptical and im curiuos what your outcome was, any feedback would be appreciated. tint has a "lifetime warranty" but he is blaming the window and not the tint on my situation . smh

12. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm no tint guy but my thought is that if you guys are willing to take your door panels off and start messing with the window, why not take the glass out and see if they can tint the whole thing. Of course, this would only work if you had a second vehicle for a day or two while the tint dries/cures to the glass. I wouldn't recommend messing with a freshly tinted window that much since you risk shifting and tearing .

13. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Prius had tint when I bought it and no gaps. The window doesn't move in any odd way, either. It sounds like you need to visit a different dealership and get the window adjusted.

14. riceroni87

riceroni87 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The window moves a bit. I originally had gaps and took it back and they fixed it

Nexus 5 ?