1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius tire pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JoanneR, May 27, 2022.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday the tire pressure light came on. Went to the Toyota dealer today because I can get free nitrogen fill there as I bought the tires there. I asked if they could let me know which tire was low so I could get that tire checked prior to going on a road trip. This is what I was told.

Guy checked all 4 tires. Said the 2 tires on the right were at 35 and the two tires on the left were 20. This was through an interpretor because the guy speaks Spanish. I didn't believe it really was 20. I had the car at that dealer 8 days ago for oil change, rotation, and multipoint inspection. The person doing the interpreting said that it looks like they didn't check all 4 tires when it was in.

Even though I am an older granny, seems like I would notice if the tires were really at 20.

Does this sound like BS to you?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It don't take much to use the tyre gauge. I check mine regular.becsuse I cannot trust folks these days for what ever reason. I don't care what the issues are but I have to know so I have to check yeah I don't care if I'm 80 and I have to bend down and check or stand over the person who's pushing the gauge to the tire and look down there at the same time because he may have had a bad day could be tired and wants to go home whatever the reasons it doesn't matter it's too easy for me to just check to make certain rather than somebody telling me these are at 20 and this is a 35 I'm going to know no language barrier no any barriers until I'm in a hoveround

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to know. sometimes it is difficult to tell with radial tires. never trust a dealer to do anything, most of those inspections never get done.
    some here mark their tires and oil filter tosee if they actually get changed.

are there any local mechanics that can help you? tires pressure should be checked regularly

4. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one of those pencil tire gauges and I end up releasing air a lot of the time rather than actually measuring the pressue. Didn't feel comfortable leaning over the guy's shoulders while he was measure the pressure to actually see the level.

How do you mark the tires to see if they were rotated?

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chalk number on the inside wall.

if they do free air, i would stop in more often.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Practice helps. Place the gauge on the valve stem lightly, then rock it, try to ensure it’s square to the valve. Then press down quickly and firmly.

that said, some gauges are more difficult to use. I have about 3 pencil gauges, and one is very prone to leak air; I never use it.

the readings can vary too: if you have several compare. If one’s an outlier it’s likely off.

I use a simple bicycle pump to air up ours, a floor standing model with built-in gauge. Don’t rely on that gauge, but it helps.

a pump like that frees you up, not that hard to use. Nitrogen is a bit of a con game too.

CR94 likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest, 20psi air in tires may or may not look any different from tires with 35psi of air on the same car. But more importantly, did they find anything wrong with the tires that lost air? Good tires do not lose 15psi of air in 8 days. Maybe, they did not put enough air in the tires when they did the service?

8. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Perhaps since the air loss was on one side someone let your tyres down.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
  10. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Perhaps since the air loss was on one side someone let your tyres down.

11. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Perhaps since the air loss was on one side someone let your tyres down

12. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s British for let air out of the tires. :)

PaulDM likes this.
  14. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thank you for the translation. Lol.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In America when I was a kid we call that cooling the tires we used to go out at night and do that to unsuspecting people and yeah I know

bisco likes this.
  16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All true. For some gauges, regardless of gauge type, you have to be careful to angle it perfectly. That's because the sealing gasket in the gauge is firmer or thinner than others. Mostly out of curiosity, I bought the least expensive tire gauge at Walmart. Not only does it agree closely with my older, pricier gauge, it is much less finicky about orientation.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a couple of decent quality stick gauges:

PCL brand (made in England) with 10~120 psi range, quite accurate, but with metal inner barrel the range it can be a little hard to read. Still, the barrel numbers/increments are embossed, very durable.

Milton brand (made in the US), with 10~70 psi range. It has a white-plastic inner barrel, easy to read. It is my go-to gauge, but a couple of quibbles:

1. It's consistently reading 3 pounds high. So for example if I want 33 psi I want to see 36 psi on the gauge. I put a piece of tape on it indicating the error.
    2. Minor: the plastic barrel both kPa and psi: the latter is printed-on black lettering and stable so far, but the former are red lettering and almost immediately smeared like crazy.

F334C0BF-55E6-4B26-AE66-F4872A8B39A6.jpeg

#14 Mendel Leisk, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    PaulDM likes this.
  18. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It probably will be easier for you to install some solar wireless TPMS. You can see the tire pressure values whenever you are in the car. No need to worry about tire pressure anymore.

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get those higher quality ones that has a analog needle gauge, no air gushes out insert or removal.

Chalk L anywhere on the front left tire. R for front right tire.

20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't know about "higher quality ones,," but when I tested a large group of ordinary quality tire pressure gauges a few years ago, analog needle ones generally tended to be worse than the pencil-style ones.
    Fit of the gauge chuck on the valve stem has very little to do with whether the gauge is analog needle, pencil, or electronic digital type.

21. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update and another question:

The tire pressure light came on again after a few days. Went over to Costco and checked the pressure. It seems the left rear tire has a leak as that pressure was down again to 20 pounds. Since these tires are getting closer to end of life, I am going on a long road trip next week, and Costco is having a nice sale on Michelins, I decided to buy new tires which are going to be put on tomorrow. However, after refilling the back tire again, the light stayed on and didn't go off as it has done in the past. Found the re-set button under the dash, pushed that, and the light stayed on, never went off. Not sure I did it correctly, like do you keep it pressed in for a certain number of seconds?

Is there an easy way they can check those tire pressure sensors tomorrow at Costco? Did a bit of research and read that they have batteries in them which may last 7-10 years. My car is 9 years old. Is it easy to check the batteries in them? If I do need new sensors, I will have Costco replace them.

Edited: I am pretty sure there is a screw or nail in the tire. Had electricians working in the garage last week and even though they did check for any dropped screws, I have a suspicion that they missed one (or more). Or it could be a roofing nail as I had a new roof put on last week also.

I was going to be getting new tires in a few months, so no regret that I am buying them earlier.

Another question: About the solar wireless TPMS, can someone suggest a good brand(s)? Just was checking Amazon and they have quite a few. Don't know which would be appropriate for a Prius. I am definitely going to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

#18 JoanneR, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  22. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are going to get new tires, you can get the TMPS sensors replaced at the same time. This will save you tire mounting fees, which is about $60 at Costco for 4 tires.

I purchased batteries and replaced them in the stock TPMS sensors by myself. But that is probably too much work for you.

Regarding the solar wireless TPMS, I bought some no-name from AliExpress for $20+. It has been a few months and I really like it. They are universal, read the reviews on Amazon and get a set you like.

23. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will try to talk to the guy who helped me out with the tires about the monitors tomorrow; don't know if they would even have the time to do it (I don't know how much time it takes). Been there 3 times in the past week and they don't have enough help.