1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Tire Upgrades

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by CThaler19, Oct 15, 2006.

?
  1. BFGoodrich's Traction T/A H

7.1%
  2. Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

7.1%
  3. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

50.0%
  4. Kumho Solus KH16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

14.3%
  6. Yokohama AVID H4S

21.4%
  1. CThaler19

CThaler19 New Member

I believe everyone who owns a Prius would conclude that the OEM tires that come with the car are complete crap, and I would go as far to say that they are dangerous. Therefore, I decided to create a pole to get opinions what all season tires to buy without buying new rims.

As far as I can tell, there are three tire sizes that will fit on the 15" stock wheels that come with the Prius:
    • 185/65/15
    • 195/60/15
    • 205/60/15
    As for tires, there are dozens of all seasons available, but I have narrowed my list down to 6: (all H speed rating)
    • BFGoodrich's Traction T/A H
    • Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
    • Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
    • Kumho Solus KH16
    • Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    • Yokohama AVID H4S
    Currently, I am leaning toward the 205/60/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. This tire got a great review in the latest Consumer Reports (November 2006), and people on tirerack.com are also rating it very well. I am interested to know what other people think, and from what I have read on other posts the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred seems to be a comon pick.

2. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CThaler19 @ Oct 15 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]333176[/snapback]</div>
    I could not vote because you do not have my first choice tire listed on your poll. :( While I only have 3200 miles on my Prius, I'm probably going to buy the Michelin MXV4 Plus MXE in the stock size of 185/65/15 when time comes to replace the stock tires. Sams Club here sells them for about $106 each.

My decision was down to the Goodyear Comfortreads or the MXV4. I have been a loyal Michelin fan for years and probably was the reason I leaned to the Michelin. I also have read many tire threads here on PC and the MXV4 tire is one of the few tires that current owners have reported and IMPROVEMENT in their mpg in addition to the quiet ride and excellent handling in all weathers. :) As to the tire size, I'm not sure there is a benefit to going to the other two sizes you offer in your poll but I would like to ask other PC thoughts and opinions on tire size please. I know there are speedometer error concerns but my stock tires seem to be very close to correct in the few times I've checked so changing size may create an error. :blink:

3. EddieF

EddieF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I voted for the stock size but you didn't include the Michelin X Radials which I just had installed today on both of our cars at Costco. From what I've read here, this tire seems to be a favorite of many Prius owners. With the $60 sale discount, a set of 4 ran $377.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CThaler19 @ Oct 15 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]333176[/snapback]</div>
    Respectfully disagree: I got 30,000 trouble free miles on the original OEM tires and am on my second set. The second set are new car takeoffs that I bought on this site. I had them siped and installed about 4 months ago and pleased with their performance.

5. Claudia

Claudia New Member

We got rid of the Integrity tires about three weeks ago, and went to the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in a 205/60/15. I love 'em. The ride is better, and we've driven it on wet roads a few times . . . they hug the road just like you'd want a tire to do. Road noise seems less, ride seems a bit better, but it's the safety factor that feels the most different to me.

The Michelin MXV4+ didn't compare favorably to the Pilot Exalto, even though that's what the guy at the tire store recommended. The price on these weren't bad - out the door for just over $400. I think we made the right choice. They have about 1000 miles on them, and at most we've taken about a 2 mpg hit - a cheap price to pay not to go sliding around wet curves!

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kn6vv @ Oct 15 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]333187[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that changing the size is not a good idea. I'm no gear head or tire expert but I recently talked to a tire salesman and he said if I didn't go with 185/65/15R the speedometer, odometer, mileage calculations, etc. would be off.

I curious to know if anybody out there has Michelin Harmony tires. The salesman said they were long lasting, quiet and increase gas mileage. I need to make a decision in the next couple months as my stock Integritys are worn out (after 60,000 km).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Oct 15 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]333207[/snapback]</div>
    Did anybody caution you about the size difference causing data errors?

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]333210[/snapback]</div>
    The revs per mile are, I think, within 1 percent, and the diameter of the tire is nearly exact (the salesman said it was exact, it doesn't look quite like it to me, by the numbers from Tirerack). Trying to get the revs close to the same was one reason we chose this tire. I think at most it will have about a 1-2% impact on any of the above concerns . . . not really statistically significant, in my book.

8. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Oct 15 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]333220[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, yeah I buy that - that the diameter is probably the biggest factor when you talk about errors. As I understand it the width of your tire (tread) would be larger than a Prius stock tire and might lower your mpgs a bit. Anybody know for sure if that is the case?

Thanks

9. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Remembering from a previous post. The OEM tires are 1-2% slow on both the speedometer and the calculations so going to the 195/60 tire should not adversly affect your speedometer. The 195/60 size is the ones put on every where except the U.S., so they fit the rims perfectly. The salesman is generally correct except in this case the tires are so close in size it won't make a discernable difference.

10. CThaler19

CThaler19 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Oct 15 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]333207[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad to read that the 205/60/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S work great on the Prius. My biggest worry about going with these tires was if they would fit, and you have put to rest all those worries. I will most likely end up buying of set this week. Thanks!

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go with the 195/60/15s, having checked out the rpm issue and knowing what comes stock elsewhere. I'm leaning towards the Michelin HydroEdge, though I've heard good things about the Pilots.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I checked my speedometer against a good quality GPS receiver and with the OEM Integrity tires (855 revs/mile) it was about 2 MPH fast at 70 MPH. I put a set of H rated Toyo Proxes TPT size 205/60-15 (847 revs/mile) and the speedometer error was reduced to less than 1 MPH fast at 70 MPH.

13. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Couldn't answer the poll as well because our tire of choice for our 05 is the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds, 205/60 15's. We put them on tomorrow.

14. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CThaler19 @ Oct 15 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]333176[/snapback]</div>
    I keep hearing this but have yet to notice anything wrong with the OEM tires. I've driven them through one winter (only water, no snow) and one summer, and they seem fine to me. When these do wear out I'll probably get something recommended by the people on this board. Who knows, when that happens maybe I'll see the light and be overwhelmed by the difference :)

15. mdale

mdale New Member

I put Michelin Hydroedge 205/60R15 tires on my 2006 Prius shortly after taking delivery of the vehicle. For me, the car felt like it was on roller skates with the oem Goodyear Integrity 185/65R15 tires. Now the car feels more stable, handles better, and still gets 49.4 mpg (neither the engine nor the tires are broken in yet, less than 1,000 miles). I also added the BT Tech stiffening plate, which further improved the car's performance by making the car feel tighter, stiffer, and more responsive. The car is definitely not on roller skates any more!

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]334222[/snapback]</div>
    I believe CThaler only wanted to hear about this selection as he described in the first post. A rare poll since I think most people buy what's "Prius popular" without much comparison to what's currently better.

17. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I did a lot of research at tirerack.com and it looks to me like the Bridgestone RE960AS is the best of the best in ultra high performance tires in their testing and also in owner reviews. Getting 4 for my 2004 at $78 per, balanced and installed by a local tire shop next week. Unfortunately, I'll be switching over to my snow tires in a couple weeks so I might not get a lot of driving time on them this season.

18. CThaler19

CThaler19 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]334222[/snapback]</div>
    In hindsight I probably should have added a option for "Other", and maybe a couple of the other types of tires. Though, I did not want too many choices. Unfortunately, I can not go back and edit the poll.

19. PriusOwner2006

PriusOwner2006 New Member

Purchased and had installed a set of Nokian WR 185/65/R15 tires last week to replace OEM tires. So far, pleased with new tires and although no snow as of yet, these tires do handle well in rain and [at least] shallow pools of standing water on roadways. The car feels more 'solid' with these tires than the OEM tires.

20. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Oct 16 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]333652[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that size 195/55-16 tires on 16" rims are standard in Europe and Australia, optional in Japan, and now available in the US on the 2007 touring edition. I don't know of anywhere that Toyota equips the Prius with size 195/60-15 tires that will fit our 15" rims.

My choice for my uses is the size 195/65HR15 ContiProContact (or perhaps the Dunlop SP Sport 5000?). If still lived in Phoenix, I'd go with a Sumitomo HTR 200. If I lived in Seattle, I'd go with the Potenza RE960AS. If I cared less about fuel efficiency and was facing a Michelin sale at Costco (like now) -- the Pilot Exalto AS. If I was looking to spend less up front -- the Falken ZE-512.

I bought the BF Goodrich Traction TA 195/60HR15 for our Elantra. I wouldn't buy them again because of the high rolling resistance and loss in fuel economy that I've experienced, other users at TireRack have since complained about, and Consumer Reports has now measured. Otherwise they're good performance tires. (They're too noisy and rough riding to be considered grand touring.)