1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, Tivo, Roomba: Technology Triple Crown?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigdaddy, Jun 19, 2005.

?
  1. All 3, a Triple Crown!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 0, but hopeful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow ya know...i have to say i think its insulting to put Roomba and TiVo on the same level as the Prius...neither imm is all that technologically advanced or cool.

if i had to take anything, i would have to lean towards the flood of GPS Nav systems that are flooding the market and getting cheaper by the minute. anyone hear about Verizon releasing VZ Navigator...turn by turn directions on your cellphone?? that is cooler than TiVo (nothing but a VCR on steroids)

also would take voice recognition over Roomba... granted, VR still has a ways to go, but that is where the real money is headed. a growing number of people are challenged by the keyboard and mouse game. more ways to record, create and share data is where its at and gonna be.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't care enough about anything on TV to have a Tivo but would not mind a HDTV flat screen for the living room. Mostly for design and space saving considerations like with the kitchen and the 13in Aquos I have there.

Thought I was mistaken about the Roomba as it just does not seem to equate with the Prius. I have two dogs, the one that walks around on her 4 legs and the one she leaves behind on ever inch of tile and acid stained concrete I have in my place!! I don't know why she is not bald!! I am fine with my little Sharp Transformer for my floors, I am sure the Roomba would choke to death with in 15 minutes!!

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    get me a roomba that can do stairs and moisture cleanups and i might reconsider

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Not more TV really, just fewer commercials and shows I'm not into.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont have TiVo...but i do have a RCA Digital Video Recorder. it detects and creates separate chapters for commericals. my default playback is to skip the chapters with the commericials in them. only drawback, does not skip any commericials in first few mins of recording... it does have a "jump" button which skips at 30 sec intervals.

it cost me about $250 at best buy... comes up "upscan" which allows me my only opportunity to view the 1080i scan on my TV (since i dont have HD service)

this requires no subscription of any kind. programs just like Tivo except it doesnt have the ability to recognize duplicates (i dont think... not that much i record...havent noticed any duplicates yet.)

its a RCA DRC8060N...

6. benighted

benighted New Member

I voted all 3.

I don't have TiVo but I have Windows Media Center and I consider it to be way better than TiVo

7. benandersen

benandersen New Member

previously, I had considered those little robots to be pretty silly, but I'm going to reconsider since you put it up there with the tivo and prius, both of which I can't live without anymore.

screw commercials and any car that can tell me where the next nearest krispy kreme is, to me, is heaven sent.

heh

ben
    2005 w/ 2016 miles and counting...

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you consider Windows Media Center "way better" than Tivo? I have Tivo and love it, and am curious what features WMC would have that would make it "way better" . . .

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where does th RCA DVR get its programming information? Is it the same place as things like MythTV, or does RCA run a site?

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I don't use them for general purpose cleaning, they have a small niche in my house: light cleaning of hardwood floors and smooth garage floors. Using them on pure carpet drains the battery and it does not do a 'deep' clean. They are a step above toy, but useful in certain circumstances.

(BTW, just went to one of the original Atlanta Krispy Kremes on Ponce de Leon Ave, they started in NC, but we've had them here since the 60's. The HOT sign was lit up.)

11. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius, 8300HD, 503CMX, SVS, 4805, RS 750's, DVD 1600, and Buttkicker LFE.

Also have a couple of Tizios, a 346 XP and a LS 1013.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I'm wondering why he thinks it's better w/o having a Tivo. How many recordings does he miss due to unknown/random problems? How many times has it been rebooted due to stability probs, crashes, hangs, machine getting in to a bad state, installing security updates, or just turning off the machine? What's the uptime since last reboot (he can find out via http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsInfo.html)?

How much did his whole MCE machine cost vs. a $20-50 standalone Tivo + $300 lifetime subscription? It certainly draws a hell of a lot more power than a Tivo too.

13. robinsod

robinsod New Member

Prius: 2, black '04 and silver metallic '06
    Roomba, 2
    Tivo: 0

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update:

I now have achieved the Techonology Triple Crown.
    Husband came home from Target last night with a Roomba Discovery for moi. Have had the Tivo for a few years now, and a Time Warner DVR sitting next to it for about 2 years (for those times when there are 2 or 3 shows on in the same time slot).

Said he'd trade me my black Ipod video thingy for it. That was an easy decision. I asked for a Roomba for Christmas, he gets me an Ipod. I sadly have no use for an Ipod in my life, no matter how cool it may look and has the entire 1st season of Lost downloaded on it as well as my Rancid and Social Distortion cd collections.

:D

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they did put out a scooba for solids floor.. i think it can do wet too... Our roomba falls down the stairs, does that count? lol... it's sensors get it stuck in a corner.. both stairs on either side.. then it tries it's little " back up to turn and get away" trick.. and tumbles.. lol... it's funny. *thump* *thump* *BANG* *crash* *crash*... yep.. it tumbled again.. and it's little lint/garbage trap must have come undon... so now i have to clean the entry way to the house.. lol

I want a tivo.. er.. DVR.. so i can watch Smallville on my 37" monitor/tv.... it's the only tv i would watch. I would buy a DVR just to watch it. too bad they don't broadcast it in HD...

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I recently got myself a Roomba and did a search here on PC to see if there were any threads related to it, and came across this.

Although I've had a minor Roomba breakdown near the beginning, I promptly received a replacement product from the company (Excellent customer service!), and it is such great technology.

Also have a PVR (Canadian equivalent to the TiVo) from Rogers Cable in Ontario, and that is also an excellent invention - not so much that it lets you watch MORE TV, but rather you can watch what you want, when you want - and skip commercials at the same time. ;)

I guess I have the triple crown!

Kevin

17. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) two Priuses, one Roomba, 4 Tvos and in case your interested a Scuba kitchen wet mop made by I robot the same company that makes Roomba. I really like my Roomba and I have 2 black labs that always shed but the Scuba is a great addition to any house. I got it for my wife for her birthday in March and the Roomba was this years Christmas gift to her. She loves them both.
    -Paul R. Haller-

18. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One Prius and Netflix! Am I tech-challenged?