1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Prius to be discontinued in Germany......

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JoanneR, Aug 14, 2020.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure where to post this. Hopefully an administrator can put it in the proper forum, if this isn't the right one. Apologize if this is old news. This came across my news feed today.

"Toyota accounes fluroide-ion solid state battery, plans to stop selling Prius in Germany

Toyota Announces Fluoride-Ion Solid State Battery, Plans To Stop Selling Prius In Germany

Sure hoping USA is not among the markets where it will be discontinued. "A report by Motor.es says Toyota plans to stop selling the standard Prius in Germany and possibly in other markets as well."

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new battery? maybe someday

no prius in germany? whatever

no announcements of bev models on the horizon? honesty

donbright and scona like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ouch .... with many countries backing off on smaller cars for the past two years, I guess this was inevitable. EV's and bigger car production grows, & small hybrid car production shrinks. I read that GigaBerlin construction is underway. You don't build a factory that can produce millions of cells for nothing. Maybe that's a good thing? idk.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius (liftback model) wasn't big in Germany anyway. When I was there 5 years ago, the other Toyota hybrids were much more popular. So, it's not a big deal seeing it discountinued there.

As for Prius in our market, that pretty much is inevitable, but for any entirely different reason. Carrying a non-plug model into the next generation doesn't make sense. Something in PHEV form will become a standard offering. Who knows what naming of the new BEV models will be anyway. There's the Corolla Crossover making its way into markets not too. So, change in coming.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla Hybrid/Auris Hybrid sold better because of lower import taxes.

Nevertheless, this is big. It's their bread and butter hybrid and if the "showcase" can't be sold, well then they need a new showcase vehicle lol.

But I suppose it did its job in normalising hybridisation and thus other cars can pick up the slack. This means Toyota needs a BEV Prius or a much longer range Prius PHV and needs to stop dragging their feet on electrification.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And they get a choice of the Corolla hybrid in sedan, hatchback, and wagon. Plus there is the Yaris hybrid as well. Sales of the Prius started dropping during the third gen because of them. Now they also have the Camry, C-HR, and Rav4 to pick.

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be surprised if PRIUS is dropped here. I just did a check of last 4 months last financial year"
    March 14
    April 4
    May 3
    June 9.

Toyota breakdown for May - they sold 4 times the number of SUPRAs!! which are 2½-3 times dearer.
    upload_2020-8-15_23-0-1.png

Merkey and bisco like this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When you can get the HSD powertrain in your choice of shapes and sizes, the old "one size fits all" model loses appeal fast.

9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    How are they selling Vs ?

I thought Toyota didn’t care about used car sales?

but the Prius shape provides the most utility Of any other shape similar to a minivan .

Sadly people don’t care if they can actually use their cars For something useful

#9 Rmay635703, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    royrose likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep .... more range please ..... & throw in some faster charging while you're at it.
    tapatalk_jpeg_1542417904774.jpg except a plugin minivan (33 EV mile range) can almost stow a Prius C in back, but not the other way around.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not out to dispute the utility of the liftback design.

I'm just recognizing Toyota's effort to validate hybrid power as a mainstream automotive technology. It may have taken 20+ years to break out of the niche, but they've finally got themselves positioned to pull it off- hopefully to everyone's benefit.

Merkey and John321 like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was only cancelled in the US. It was still available in Canada after its last year here.

But the Corolla hatchback and wagon hybrids provide that without an import tax tacked on.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to me, the prius is still the best form factor of all of toyota's hybrids, but that's only one sale.

and yes, everything needs a plug

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most people don't know it, but Toyota is not standing by idle when it comes to the fierce electric car competition in China... Because the newest cities being designed and built in China are severely restricting ICE vehicles, Toyota didn't have any other option than to build and sell a low price electric car. You can see it in this video:

MichelleStone and donbright like this.
  15. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius could be axed in more countries in Europe.
    A lot of tax incentives have been removed so there isn't a financial gain in getting a Prius.
    The Corolla Wagon is quite popular here now since it is more practical than the Prius and it doesn't look as weird as the Prius.

Toyota does need to step up their hybrid game in terms of driving dynamics. They tried to market it as an alternative to small diesel vehicles but even the 2.0 Hybrid seriously lacks in torque compared to the current 1.5 and 1.6L diesel and gas engines. To compete you need about 170 to 180 lb.ft of torque. Most gas engines in the 1.6L range have that torque and similar sized diesel engines have more than 200 lb.ft of torque. You seriously miss the torque when accelerating between 50 and 80 mph.

bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm gonna be that guy and ask if every model needs to compete in the horsepower war? I'm really okay with letting "sports cars" be a little special in this regard while pocketing the savings on all the others.

Nothing wrong with ~110 lb-ft per liter as long as you're also able to cough up a 900cc mill for the masses.

meeder and dig4dirt like this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that all ranges in the video are NEDC values which are the most optimistic (and what Lexus uses for the UX300e).

Here's How To Calculate Conflicting EV Range Test Cycles: EPA, WLTP, NEDC

Also, Americans can put their wallets where their mouth is soon.

Here's the cheapest electric vehicle in the US -- and it comes from China - Roadshow

Special price for the first 1,000 customers

America’s Most Affordable Electric Cars Become Even Cheaper

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So how many do I get if I trade-in my Model 3?

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    that miserable excuse of a car - the "CODA" .... & it's lightning quick failure didn't teach the chinese manufacturers a thing - did it. Everything that the Coda was ... this little steaming pile is even less.

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not offering anything at all in defense of this particular car, but after much deliberation I'm ready to say that if an automaker can't get a high volume 4-door on the market for south of $22k then they officially aren't even trying to be a serious automaker.