1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius to home in a storm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Randy B, Feb 2, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another reason to think about the wire gauge, at least as significant with a low-voltage inverter, is just the amount of voltage drop that will be seen at full load. That's easy to measure, just run a full load off the inverter and measure the battery voltage, and then the voltage across the inverter's input connections.

This may end up being of more practical significance than wire overheating; you'll likely find that the voltage drop becomes a problem well before the wire reaches any temperature of concern.

Most inverters now have a low-battery-voltage automatic shutoff, intended to prevent over-discharging a battery. But of course the inverter will shut off when its input terminal voltage reaches that cutoff point, not the voltage at the battery itself.

The supply-voltage-drop issue is less trouble for the kind of high-input-voltage, traction-battery-supplied inverter that Randy was describing in the original post. Because that kind of inverter will be producing the same output power with less than a tenth of the input current compared to a 12-volt-input inverter, it does not demand nearly the same thickness of supply wiring.

Rbjr, fuzzy1, Holli and 1 other person like this.
  2. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ChapmanF, Thank you for the post of information about the ConVerdant and POP inverters. Please note that the inverters have always come with the needed car-cable and inverter cables included. Your hand off inverter probably had the car cable left installed on the Prius.

3. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Aims unit is not compatible with anything but the gen2 and 3 prius.
    The Prius Prime is a supported car, but the Rav4 Prime is not because the connection points are hidden inside the battery box and this would be impractical to access.
    Randy Bryan
    PlugOut Power

Rbjr likes this.
  4. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Rav4 hybrids are supported.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had noted that, but what I meant was that my wish list would be for the cables to be built using actual HV cable and connectors.

The ones that generally come with these inverters seem to be made out of extension cord and Anderson connectors.

The car uses shielded HV-specific cable and employs a self-testing technique to detect leakage between the HV conductors and the shields. It also has a low-voltage interlock circuit to detect when connections are open. There is HV cable available that contains both power conductors, shielding, and the low-voltage interlock circuit.

[​IMG]

Available HV-specific connectors ensure the integrity of the shielding, and include interlock pins to complete the circuit when connected. A touch-safe dummy connector is available to be used on the car-side pigtail and complete the interlock circuit when the inverter is not present.

[​IMG]

So that's what I was saying would be on my wish list.

6. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ChapmanF,
    Duly noted. Thanks.
    Our kits include HV cables and connectors rated to 300v for gen2 and 3 prius, and rated to 600v for higher voltage models. The car cable in fused. The car-side connector is suited to the vehicle.
    The connector you reference above is similar to connectors the OEMs use. But problematic to serve as an aftermarket product connector. Still, I am open to ideas.
    Randy Bryan - POP

7. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ChapmanF<
    I was just looking at a thread I had started on using the Prius in a storm for power. But it was closed to replies...
    THere were some innocent-incorrect posts there.. no way to help correct. Randy Bryan

Rbjr likes this.