1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius totaled in crash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Priscilla, Aug 21, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    May I ask, what kind of car was the "other guy" driving? And how were "his" injuries?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Aug 21 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]306875[/snapback]</div>
    And was he drunk or high?

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad you're OK and the Prius saved you. I hope your new one treats you even better.

Is this one full-service chat room or what?

You can get ethical, legal, medical, mechanical, political and just plain friendly advice here somewhere. Let us know how it works out.

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 21 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]306864[/snapback]</div>
    Sometime when I was in college, lo these many (many many) moons ago, I was on a bus(!) that got rear-ended. I DID get whiplash. I DID see doctors right from the start (upon the advice of my parents...see, kids SOMETIMES listen to their parents). They DID take names and contact info from all the passengers at the scene. The guy who was driving the whatever-it-was...well, his insurance company...kept trying to deny I had been on that bus. They ultimately ended up paying. It was several thousand dollars (I had been seeing physical therapists for some time as well as all the docs and meds...and time lost from school...and all that). It ended up paying off my student loans (but note...tuition was only around $4k/yr at a private school, not state, at the time--yes THAT long ago--and I only had two years' worth of loans).

Just in case we haven't made it clear enough...DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING LEGAL WITHOUT YOUR OWN LEGAL ADVISOR!!! ESPECIALLY under the influence of pain killers! :blink:

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be careful about taking any objects from the car that normally belong with it. Once the car is totalled and you are paid by the insurance company, the car and its parts become the property of the insurance company.

Naturally, you want to remove all personal property.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 21 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]306996[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's true, however...if the car is REALLY totalled...you might be ok. I "totalled" a 2 year old Honda Civic hb base model (and the insurance paid me about what I had paid for the car) and took off the passenger side mirror and took out the radio (neither of which, I admit, were original to the car...but obvious nonetheless) and got no grief about it. (I had another Honda--sedan, but same vintage--to put those things on).

AND, a later CarFax search showed the hatchback was still on the road...MANY owners and six years later.

7. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Priscilla @ Aug 21 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]306621[/snapback]</div>

Priscilla,
    I'm so glad you're all right and hope you get your new car soon. That just goes to show how great the Prius is and good news to us Prius owners and in the case of myself, a future Prius owner.
    Mary

8. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Sorry about your Prius, but glad to hear that you were not seriously hurt. I concur with everybody that says to have a doctor make sure that you have no injuries that have not manifested themselves yet and to make sure you have legal advice before signing anything. Hope you get a new Prius soon. Once a cool chick with a black Prius, always a cool chick with a black Prius.

9. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to hear that you are OK after that horrific accident. Also doubly glad now that we decided on a Prius!