1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Towing Capability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coffenut, Jul 22, 2006.

1. coffenut

coffenut Junior Member

This may seem like a very strange question, but as I haven't received my Prius yet (Aug 7), can anyone tell me if the Prius is capable of towing something like a motorcycle? B)

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Toyota just says it isn't rated for towing so you kind of have to come up with your own numbers. Make sure the hitch is secured correctly to the car. Don't exceed the tongue weight of your hitch and make sure you have plenty of air in the back tires (front ones also). It's just a guess but I wouldn't hesitate to try half of it's weight, say 1400 lbs or so. The brakes are a little whimpy so make sure you give yourself plenty of stopping room, use the B mode when coming down hills, etc. You might find another small Toyota sedan, say a Corolla or an Echo, and see what they are rated for, that might give you a better idea.

EDIT: BTW I haven't done this so proceed at your own risk, what I say is just a guess based on other cars I have owned.

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coffenut @ Jul 22 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]290526[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is not designed for towing. The manual flatly states "do not tow" anything. Many folks have put tow hitches on their Prius, however, and some have towed small utility trailers without damaging their cars. I use my tow hitch for a bicycle carrier.

If you are going to tow, I would recommend the 2-inch hitch receiver and adding an electrical harness. Search the forum and you'll find many threads about adding a two hitch.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jul 22 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]290541[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget to modify the exhaust to prevent damage! Read This!
    http://priuschat.com/Hitch-causing-trim-to-melt-t21292.html

5. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 22 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]290547[/snapback]</div>
    Agree. I occasionally tow a small utility trailer, and have towed a small motorcycle on it. I modified the exhaust a bit to avoid any damage.