1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius - Toyota dealer disaster looking at Insite

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TangaRed, Aug 6, 2009.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking only for the local area in Portland Oregon, Cash for Clunkers seems to have been amazingly sucessful. Local inventories of Prius are just about empty. Since I don't qualify for Cash for Clunkers anyway, it just means I'm going to have to be patient just that much longer. I can sympathize if you are trying to get a deal done with Cash for Clunkers on a specific model such as a Prius. Seems wrong if you had a deal in principal with these dealers then THEY backed out.

If the priority is taking advantage of Cash for Clunkers you might have to compromise. If the priority is getting a Prius, then I'd wait. I'd never let trouble with a dealer or dealers stop me from getting the automobile I wanted.

$3,500 or $4.500 for a clunker can be a great deal. I can understand if someone wants to take advantage of this temporary circumstance.

Hate to see you not get the car you really want. I'd spend time on the phone and extend your search. Even if you have a long drive or have to buy out of state, it might be worth it to consider a long drive to purchase.

Good Luck whatever Automobile you end up with.

I've kept an eye on local inventories and was suprised at how low they have become since Cash for Clunkers. Good for the economy, nice to see people purchasing. Anything to get people out looking to buy. But it does create a competitive environment for the potential buyer. I was upset my "clunker" did not qualify but now I'm kind of happy I can sit out this frenzy.

2. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    C for C does seem to be doing great here but inventory from Salem, OR north up to WA and ID was already close to zero by the first week of July due to the WA sales tax exemption that was expiring 7/31/09. Originally it was supposed to run at least through next year and then the legislature pulled it... A fact left in obscurity until a notice put out the end of June by the DOR. So all us WA residents who were not in a rush, hauled. Thus, since you don't have a clunker or time limit for no sales tax (since OR has none), you have the luxury of finding exactly what you want. PS I checked the Twin Cities about 10 days ago (used to live there) and was amazed to see about 50 listed around the metro.

3. jbedi

jbedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. Try Novato Toyota 415 897 3191. THey had several Priuses on the lot. Talk with Ken. He is good guy, very helpful.

4. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update - I've asked my original dealer to find me a car - we have a b it more time now that C4C will last a little longer. He says it is no problem for them with CRC since he has already done the paperwork. I told him it is a problem for me and eventually him if I take the car back and can not find a suitable deal and miss out on CRC (attorney said small claims for missed value and interest on my cashed check) Would much rather just have my car. I'm checking with other dealers who have inventory coming in.
    I do feel a bit bad for the sales manager - he seemed upset about how his staff handled this when he was gone for a couple days - I wonder what happens when he goes on vacation.

So, hopefully he can find a car - if not then hopefully i can. Otherwise I'll probably by a fit and wait a couple years for a plug in prius. That would be dissapointing.

I still can't believe he told me there were no cars coming in - what about ordering a III - how long does that take?

Still struggling.

5. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess I should add that I still have their loaner car of a 2008 Prius. The sales guy said i could use unitl I got my new car - originally anticipated to be a few hours. I wonder if anyone has told their sales manager I have the loaner. Road trip this weekend maybe.:D

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ha, you never mentioned that you got a loaner from the dealer until now.
    Why do you have to worry? You have the free use of a car until they find you the car you ordered.

You have no reason to gripe.

7. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    bedrock8x, TangaRed did mention he had a loaner, it might have been in another string, where I had replied that the loaner was a real field leveler due to just costing him the gas while learning about the Hybrid and developing new Hybrid driving habits without cost on his new car.

TangaRed, If I were you, I would still contact Dianne and see what she can offer. --TK

8. mplsman

mplsman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was able to get a red3; but it did take a little work. Im in MN, not CA. My first red3 was pummeled by racket ball sized hail the day after I put my deposit down at one dealer. They had to declare the car totaled as the body and paint damage was so severe that it voided all of the applicable warrenties. I quickly called another dealer and found one and put a deposit down over the phone. I will admit that the cars were disappearing as I sat there. When I first purchased, the car the dealer had 7 in stock; in less than an hour they had 3. When I picked up my car (after many days of stress due to the f'ck ups with the government), they had sold all of their Prius's; they infact stated that they were aware of only a few left in the state, and that all were 5's with all of the options ($$$$).

The dealer refusing to sell you a car because they don't want to do a CFC deal is probably illegal. I'd report the dealer to Toyota, or the state. The CFC is not suppose to impact the deal.

9. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ZI can try diane but I believe she is in Southern California and I am in Northern California. I'm not sure if I want to drive my clunker 500 miles.

Having the older prius is not quite like having the car you paid for and knowing that this little nightmare is over and that I have a car.

Thanks for all the input.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DOR announced it the afternoon of May 18.

Stunned that I heard no mention of it in the press after it was floated as a trial balloon in March, and that I found no clue of it on the Legislature's Bill Info web site in repeated searches during the final weeks of the session and shortly thereafter, I tracked down DOR's references. The &@$*@s in the legislature made sure that all useful keywords in the bill were NOT so tagged, so interested members of the public wouldn't be able to find it without either reading the entirety of every single proposed bill, or having inside information from the Democratic Caucus. With such a large supermajority that they didn't need a single opposition party vote to pass anything, the Dems keep an unusual degree of secrecy over the entire budget process this year.

I ordered my Prius on May 21, while the pipeline was still looking very ample.

11. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So much for "transparency" :mad:

12. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you get really stuck, I can probably that rabbit out of the hat for you. Will your clunker make it to SoCal?

Di

13. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was minding my own business when I opened my quarterly info mailer from the DOR in late June that I get for my business. The fact that the hybrid tax was "ending" jumped out at me since I never knew we had one :D. Only that the Prius federal tax credits were all gone. Said whatever since my CRV is under lease for another 15 mos for my bus, but then found myself testdriving the P a few days later. Fell in love, started a 3 state 10 day hunt of over 50 dealers, found it, drove it home 300+ miles 10 days later, then had to deal with titling before month end. Ended up so tired from the whole process that I have yet to really take it anywhere except errands. I would be curious to know how many people took advantage of the credit.

1 person likes this.
  14. TangaRed

TangaRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm still trying to get the dealer here to find me a car rather than cancelling, redoing another deal for a car that is hard to find. I'll see what happens in the next day or two. It sounds like there is a new shipment in port but not at the dealers yet (or so other dealers say). Shouldn't my dealer be able to find and trade someting off a new shipment - wouldn't it be better for him to pullout a save on this one?

I'm not sure what they've done to my clunker (beatiful old Subaru SVX) it was running fine when I brought it in but has some little oil leaks, small cracks in the windshield (a recent development) and is 17 years old. It may make it the 400 miles to Diane - it is still sooo much fun to drive, but I'm not sure. I'lls ee what happens in the next couple days first.

Thanks,

15. Randysom

Randysom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is tough. I was able to get mine using C4C. It was tight when the first release was running out of money, I was out of town and had not picked it up. We actually were able to get it, but also decided that we would get the Prius anyway. The Insite would not fit our family. The smallest person is 5'10" and the tallest is 6'6". We all fit in the Prius, there was no chance for the Insite.

Dealers in Colorado are getting Prius cars in weekly.

Oh, I traded in a Trooper (15 MPG). Took a little while getting used to the Prius, but averaging 52.4 on first tank.

16. xrayjockey

xrayjockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We called at least a dozen dealers in So. Cal. could not find 1 series II..called Las vegas 200 miles away, they said it was en-route, he called back 3 hours later said it arrived..I gave him Credit Card deposit and drove up..Used my cash for clunkers and drove away...great car...also drove Honda Insight, nice car but cant compare to Prius...