1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, Toyota extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, Aug 3, 2007.

1. tombellanca

tombellanca New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Put me in the 'buyers remorse' group.
    Bought my Prius a week ago and purchased the 7yr/100k extended warranty. The price started out around $2650, but he came down to $1650 or so after I mentioned being able to get the warranty from another dealer/vendor.
    His pitch was that once I declined his warranty offer that day, I would not be able to purchase one.
    Based on reading above, that sounds like an outright LIE.
    I'm gonna try and contact Troy tomorrow, figure out how best to handle canceling the warranty I've already purchased and purchase one from Troy.

Just to confirm...Troy is selling Toyota warranties good at any Toyota dealer and it wouldn't matter where/what state/etc. the warranty was purchased - it will be honored?

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can always cancel those warranties. Just say I want to cancel it and no explanation. They have to do so.

3. SONOmel

SONOmel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I cancelled mine yesterday. They did not hassle me at all. Make sure to have them redo your paperwork though or you will end up paying taxes on $2000. In Nebraska, the tax me state, that would have amounted to $150 we would have paid the state for something we no longer purchased.

4. My2008Prius

My2008Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased my Prius in January, the finance manager didn't hassle me when I declined the Extended Warranty at $1690 I think. I might end up getting one soon from Troy as I need to get the prepaid maintenance deal along with the extended warranty since I'm at 4,500 miles already.

5. ajsimo

ajsimo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the difference between buying an extended warranty through a certified Toyota Dealer and a third party like Warranty Shack? I have a 2008 Prius and need to start thinking before 3 years/36,000 miles hits. I am almost to 30,000 miles. Thanks

6. accessmark

accessmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bought a platinum (fidelity warranty services) ext warranty for my 07" for $1025. Was wondering what actual repairs owners have been compensated for by this underwriter. I have not had to use it yet. I specifically bought this for the display unit, but it doesn't specifically say anything about that in the fine print. Also, can I go to any dealer with this or do I need to go back to the guys who sold it to me. Thanks, Mark

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is more likely to be in business if you ever make a warranty claim: Toyota, or Warranty Shack?

Do yourself a favor and save your money. It is highly unlikely that you will ever get back even half of what you spend on an extended warranty.