1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius TPMS and 2nd set of wheels/tires impacts?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by deucelee, Nov 1, 2015.

1. deucelee

deucelee New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. I'm new. We just picked up a new 2015 Prius for a insane deal. From WI so will be swapping the stock tires for winters this month. I will be putting them on the OEM wheels so they will use the OEM TPMS sensors. Several questions.

Question #1 - Will the installer need to do something to the re-initialize the new tires setup to the car?

I also plan to buy a set of aftermarket wheels (probably these Decorsa's) and will put a set of VDO SE10002 TPMS on them along with Continental PureContact with EcoPlus tires.

Total cost for the all seasons setup is $768 + cost to have installer install TPMS and mount wheels/tires.

Question #2 - What does it mean to "initialize" the TPMS exactly?

This is what I read on a amazon review: "they have to use the scan tool and read all the serial numbers for each tire. then they have to connect the tpms scanning tool to the car's OBD II port, read the existing serial numbers, erase existing serial numbers, and write new serial numbers. it takes about 45 to a minute to walk around the car to read the serial number in each tire and writing the serial numbers to the car's obd II port takes about 3 seconds. but the tire shops i went to wasted my time because they believed that the Toyota Prius can be made to register new sensors either automatically and wirelessly. which is not true."

Question #3 - When I have both sets of tires/wheels setup, is there anything special I have to do when swapping between them? i.e. do I have to "re-initialize" every time I do the swap?

Question #4 - Is there a easier way to "initialize" then what the amazon review up there said?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to clarify: with the original rims, with their tpms, you're going to remove the original tires and mount winter tires. So far, barring the tire installer damaging the tmps somehow, I think you've got no problems. The tpms will continue to work, just like before the tire swap.

With the new aftermarket rims and tires (17"?), you're getting extra tpms. With these you will need to "introduce" them to the car. It'll require at least one component purchase ($100~200), or a trip to the dealership and some $'s. And every time you swap between the two sets, for the tpms to work properly, a similar introduction process is needed. If you get the serial numbers of the extra tpms it will be somewhat less complicated I believe: you won't need another piece of equipment, to read the serial's.

What I did, by comparison:

Stuck with the original rims and tires, and tpms. Purchased Corolla steel rims with mounted winter tires, and skipped the tpms. I also got utilitarian open-ended galvanized lug nuts. The downside of no tpms: a small orange light on the dash through the winter months. Typically it glows steady, sometimes it flashes. Also (of course): no tpms warning, if we get a flat.

Someone from the 'States said you can skip tpms if you get tires mounted on loose rims. Maybe depends on the shop? In Canada it's still legal to install wheels/tires without tpms if you want.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I've just set up my winter tyres on a set of steel rims which are sitting in my garage at the moment. I have a Gen II touring model (16" wheels) but my winter wheels are 15" steel rims (wider selection of tyres). The steel rims do not have TPMS, and although I appreciate the safety aspect of TPMS, only one of the of the many cars I've owned over the past 50 years has been fitted with TPMS, so rather than deal with the hassle of re-initializing the system twice per year, I leave the TPMS on the summer wheels, and put a small piece of black tape over the nag-light in the dash-board. From what I've read, it seems that the TPMS system will only accomodate 4 serial numbers (an oversight?). Also, I think it is a bad idea to have one set of rims, and change tyres twice a year, since the sealing beads of the tyres tend to get stretched and damaged each time the casing is fitted to the rim. Just my opinion - YMMV! ;)

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I followed Mendel Leisk suggestion with Blizzak MS80s for Denver.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are two things that have to be done with the TPMS.

First, the Toyota scan tool, or some equivalent, must be used to enter the four TPMS sensors into the system. Once that has been done, unless you erase them, they will stay in there. The system can only hold four. The system does not notice where they are on the car, just that they are near (the wheels could be piled up in the garage beside the car and it wouldn't know the difference).

Second, you pressurize all four tyres the way you want (I use 40 PSI on the fronts and 38 PSI on the rears, for example). When that is done you press and hold the TPMS set button on the bottom of the dash near the steering column. Be careful, if you have "PCS" or "radar cruise control" there will be two buttons down there. One turns PCS on or off, the other is the "set" button for TPMS. Hold the set button when the car is in "ready" until you get a response (either a beep or flash of a display). Now the tyre pressure you want is stored in the system. When -any- tyre looses more than 20% of that set pressure you will get a TPMS warning. The system won't tell you which tyre is low. It only knows the set pressure for each sensor, not where they are on the car.

Finally, if you mount wheels without TPMS the system warning light will be on, but no other warning or action is taken. You can drive all winter or summer with that light on with no problem.

WilDavis likes this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In our 2013 and 2014, after setting the tire pressures, you press and hold the TPMS reset button under the steering wheel, and the TPMS light on the dash flashes three times to indicate it recognizes the new pressures. Then you release the TPMS reset button.

7. deucelee

deucelee New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for your replies all...seems like the best thing to do, and the least money is to go with Mendal's plan. I can dig that. appreciate it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.