1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Traction Control Complaints on the Rise

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. They must've updated the ECUs part-way through the 2005 MY.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 26 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]430599[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, that explains why my dealer claims my 2004 has all current software

3. djkarrels

djkarrels beermandave

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nu2prius @ Apr 22 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]428137[/snapback]</div>
    My prius (06) hated the snow, which we get quite of a lot of in Wisconsin. Especially the last 8" dumping we had in early April, I couldn't get the car up into the driveway unless I played with forward and reverse for 5 minutes.

It dislikes the rain too, especially at a stop light. I know, take it easy lead foot, :D, so save your posts.

This function should be able to be turned off. It's to sensitive. And yes, I'll be investigating snow tires for next winter, and better tires for the summer. Any suggestions?

4. Topgas

Topgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Apr 22 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]428024[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, there's some other reason for the traction control. This is the single biggest complaint my wife has with this car. It's pretty cool seeing guys like us running the high breds too. I used to race bikes at New England dragway, 7.70's@ 175mph and the Prostar Topgas series #3 1999.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beermandave @ Apr 26 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]430921[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think tires are going to do jack for this problem......

5. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]427820[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree...had terrible problems with the integrity's, but when I switched to the GY TT Assurance, it was like night and day. Still had issues with rain and ice, but that was because I was running 42/40.

I have dropped the pressure and am hardly ever experiencing it. Still would like to disable it, but if there is an update, that would be nice.

Any one know if this is a programmable update, or do you have to replace the ECU to get that information?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faith2walk @ Apr 29 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]432257[/snapback]</div>
    Get a new ECU.

7. Rayman

Rayman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Topgas @ Apr 29 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]432244[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '06 with VSC. I live in Denver (and everybody knows we get snow :) ). On the first snow day, I backed out of my garage, started up our hill (our street is sloped at 30 degrees), and after a 30-foot drive, parked the Integrity tires.

Replaced the tires with snow ones. Much, much better.

Even with the snow tires, the Prius is just too light. I had the VSC kick in frequently last winter (I do drive faster than the average Prius driver though as evidenced by my 45 mpg average). With the new snow tires though, the traction control doesn't kick in as aggressively. In fact, it drove pretty well even in deep snow, as long as you have clearance.

Hope this helps!

8. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 20 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]427180[/snapback]</div>

Au contrere. We have an '05 that was produced later in the year and have had SIGNIFICANT problems with this in the snow. Once, trying to leave the train station when there was snow on the road and a slight incline, the car just shut down and everybody behind me began honking etc. I was able to back the car down and limp home using another route but this could have been a dangerous problem at worst and is unacceptable at best.

PS - And yes, we did get rid of the OEM tires for recommended winter tires.

Toyota needs to get a fix for this problem.

9. dprice23

dprice23 D-Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]427254[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought an '07. Haven't experienced the Cleveland winters yet. Most people here are mention the problem on '04s and '05s. Does anyone know if it has been remedied on the '07s?

10. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dprice23 @ May 23 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]448120[/snapback]</div>
    My '07 seems ok, I can accelerate as much as I want on wet cement without power cutting out. I think they improved/fixed the problem on the newer cars. Have not had the opportunity to try out snow or ice though. Tire type and pressure might be more of an issue on ice and snow.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am thinking of soon trading my 04 for an 07. I would be VERY happy if Toyota managed to cure the Trac issues a handful of Prius cars - like mine - appear to have. My 07 FJ also has Trac, but it actually works as it should, no surprises.

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbarrows @ May 23 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]448064[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we should start a thread just for identifying (via VIN), which cars are having this problem and which aren't. Apparently Tideland's ECU replacement(reprogramming?) fixed it for him.

Dave M.

13. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dprice23 @ May 23 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]448120[/snapback]</div>
    I was able to drive in snow once since I got mine and never saw the light flash. A quick tip
    1.) When driving in snowy weather fill up the gas tank, this is to add weight to the car. 1 gallon of gas weighs about 8.5 pounds. Some people also like to throw a 20 pound bag of road salt and a couple 40 pound bags of tube sand in the trunk. Yes I know the drive wheels are in the front but it still helps, plus you never know you may just use it. But again I haven't had my 07 long enough to have issues.

14. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyota should set a minimum speed for the traction control system on the toyota prius, at the same time i wish they had a setting for allowable slip percentage. i had a bad experience with the 2001 prius in the winter, i found the traction control to be good, it helped me get out of ice and snow, but the ABS was very sensitive, it would kick in everytime i braked, to the point where the vehicle wouldnt slow down.

15. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]427254[/snapback]</div>
    I've had a few problems with traction control going up hills on snowy roads. Anyone who drives in the snow knows, to get up a snowy hill, you need to get some momentum then keep going. If you stop on a snowy hill, you probably aren't going to start again. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the Prius does. Several times, I got momentum before hitting at snowy hill, then as the tires slipped a little on the hill, the car came to a complete stop. So I had to back down the hill and try again. Once I had to do this in the dark on a narrow dirt road with steep hills on both sides. I had to back down the hill and around a bend in the dark. It was very scary.

It's better to have the tires spin a little, but keep going. This way you can keep momentum on the hill. An experienced driver can reduce the spin by backing off the gas, then apply the optimal amount of gas to keep the car moving up the hill.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redryder @ Apr 21 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]427174[/snapback]</div>

I see that you changed your MY from 04 to 05. I also have an 05.

Beginning with the 06 MY Prius's Toyota took notice of the complaints about the TCS being too instrusive in the intitial models. What you've noticed was accurate because the TCS did stop the wheels from spinning. So to resolve this beginning with the '06 MY Prius the TCS will allow some slippage to allow for rocking and plowing in snow. If the conditions are too severe then, it will lock up. The key issue is slippage and loss of traction. As many here who live in snow country have attested the use of good snows and possibly chains keeps the vehicle from losing traction and therefore the TCS doesn't become involved.

BTW the comments about Consumer Affairs are right on. They continue to troll for dissatisfied customers ( in all products btw ) to feed the sharks behind them.

Do this Google search..'Prius traction control complaints' And you will find articles by Joe Benson, Joe Benson Joe Benson and ....Consumer Affairs written by Joe Benson. Then you'll find lots of forum discussion all over the Net about articles ... written by Joe Benson.

Now do a search of the NHTSA complaint database about 'Prius traction control complaints/investigations' and that will bring back......ZERO!

Do you see a trend? Was it there in 2001 - 2005? Yes. Put snows and chains on in bad weather.
    It has been resolved apparently in 2006/2007.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Apr 21 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]427376[/snapback]</div>

Actually the TCS was installed on all Prius from the very beginning. I sold the first one in our area in July of 2000 - arrived in Jan of 2001.

Even the Gen1 Prius' had the TC in it - but not the VSC - because the relative torque of the e-motor at start up is so great that our nice green enviro-friendly vehicles would leave smoking black streaks at every stoplight we were at.

E-motors are all torque from revolution #1; i.e. that is 295 lb-ft of torque instantaneaously at 1 mph. That's far more than any Camry, Avalon, Fusion, Tacoma, ES350, etc, etc. etc. There's so much torque that from a standing stop the wheels would just spin and burn rubber. Thus the TCS was added in the original Prius to modulate the output to the wheels....and it was not given the option to disable it as in other vehicles. The unforeseen consequence was that in deep snow or sand or pebbles it became too intrusive.

17. kermityfrog

kermityfrog New Member

the electric motor is very powerful. I can spin the wheel when traveling on 35mph and make a sudden turn into the summer corner as well as on a winter road. I can did the same thing on my 350z and IS350, but I do not feel it has any life treating problem. The electric motor has a instant power to the wheel compare to a conventional gas engine. The point is just to learn how to handle and learn what the car can do. I change my driving habit from car to car, so far, i have been able to drive on winter from point a to point b safely...well only it took me 10 ~ 15mins more to reach my destination compare driving on a IS350.

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here in sunny southern California, I think we got maybe 3" of rain last year. The other day, pulling into traffic, my usually steady Prius, lurched for a second and lost power. I glanced in the mirror to see if I was about to be run over, as the powertrain came back to life, and saw that the gutter was a little wet where I launched from. It must have been enough to upset the TC. My other car is an AWD Subaru (two in fact), and they kind of ignore small puddles, even big puddles. I find the oppressive TC the mosy ANNOYING thing about the Prius experience. Do AWD hybrids such as Hylanders, and Ford Excapes have the same annoying TC problems? I love the mileage, but hate the TC.

19. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

It doesn't seem right that the car should just stop when it hits a bump. I get terrified too in traffic when the car just stops with a car behind me. No brake lights to warn them at all. If I got rear-ended, they may sue me and I'll have to pay for damages... I guess I'd have to sue Toyota. Maybe a class-action lawsuit is the only way we can get this problem fixed and a switch installed where we can turn the damn thing off!

20. Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :( I disagree that it's only snow areas where the traction control is a problem. I live in California. There's an entrance ramp onto a road where cars go 60mph, and it's frequently a little wet for about the first ten feet. If the wheels slip even a little bit, the traction control takes over, and I lose all power for a few seconds. This is downright dangerous, and very very scary. I try to avoid certain intersections because of this, but can't.

This system takes over driver control for much too long at a time when it shouldn't. I think Toyota should fix it. (I have an 05.)