1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius transmission vibration after transaxle replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dunciad, Dec 15, 2014.

1. dunciad

dunciad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi
    In common with many I have had to have the transaxle on my MkI Prius (2001) replaced (at 118K miles).
    With the help of the Toyota service staff, I purchases a reconditioned transaxle (2 year part warrant).
    Right after I got the vehicle back I noticed a slight vibration on the steering wheel. It is most noticeable on the highway at higher speeds when one throttles back, taking one's foot of the accelerator. The front tires have been rebalanced. Vibration is perhaps a misnomer for what I experience; it is more like a kind of pulsing with a definite period.
    It seems unlikely that this pulsing sensation is pure coincidence. Should I worry that this newly installed transaxle is somehow misaligned? Is it indicative of a failure? No warning lights on.

Thx
    Rob Stevens

2. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, old thread i know. But will try my luck and op will answer.
    Did you solved the issue?

3. Sohaib Alarabi

Sohaib Alarabi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This vibration sounds like a defective mg2 ... When u release ur foot from the throttle the mg2 starts regenerating power using the movement of ur car ... doing the function of regen. breaking.... If the stator of the mg2 have a defect in one of the phases u r gonna feel this puls ...also when accelerating on slow speed will feel that puls too

The mg2 is inside the transaxle assembly so am willing to bet that u ended up going back to that dealer for ur warranty

Hope this answer can be useful