1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius transmitter programming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheGMann, Jun 27, 2019.

1. TheGMann

TheGMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I get all the oddball issues

My transmitter is starting to fail and I wish to get another. I understand the chicken dance...

Heres the issue, my current transmitter will not work when installed in the key slot, but works fine when not plugged into the slot,

Will the dance still work? (I would hate to due something to my working one)

any links for transmitters would be appreciated

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fob slot is bad?
    RFID chip in fob is missing or defective?

The RFID is supposed to be failsafe: it doesn't need power (but accompanying equipment does: car), and is rugged.

Dance won't work. You don't have a fully functional fob.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone ever changed the case of your keyfob?

4. TheGMann

TheGMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I change cases several years ago,
    How (when) does the RFID chip work? when the fob inserted or removed?

A secondary issue is the alarm (magically) keeps going off (panic button). I have been SOMETIMES able to get started if I used it without the case

What does the rfid chip look like? everything looks complete in the fob

#4 TheGMann, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Images courtesy of: DIY Toyota Prius Key Fob: 3 Steps
    Author wrote a simple three step Fob case replacement procedure.

FOB case opened.
    [​IMG]

FOB motherboard and RFID chip. Do you see where the RFID chip fits into the case above?
    [​IMG]

RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) is passive (emits a radio frequency) and "failsafe" (rugged, no batteries).
    The FOB slot in the Prius is the only component in the car that uses the RFID chip. W/O the correct RFID chip, the Prius won't start. Since your car has SKS, you don't need to insert the FOB into the slot to start the car. If your FOB batter died (and did NOT replace the CR2032 battery) or maybe the motherboard went bad, you would have to insert the FOB into the slot to start the car.

I suspect you did NOT transfer over the RFID chip from the original FOB case. Thus the inability to start the via FOB slot.

Could be a stuck panic button, Take an ex-acto or razor blade to dig out the crud along the panic button. This crud is acting like a wedge, keeping the panic button depressed. You might have to disassemble to case too, to get a better crud removal done.

Since you do not have any 100% functioning fobs (loss or RFID chip is hurting you), you might be able to hire the automotive locksmiths to program a new 100% virgin SKS FOB (no used ebay crap) to the Prius. If they can't do it, you will have to go to the dealer and pay for a REST (clear all authorized fobs from vehicle) and RESEED (program NEW FOBS to be authorized on your Prius). Price shop this at various dealers. Don't forget about discounts online (AAA, AmEx, Costco, dealer website).

Skibob likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Winner. You probably didn’t transfer the chip. Your not the first person to do that, that’s why I asked. Hopefully you are part pack rat and tossed the old one in a box or something. If not and that’s your only keyfob then exstudent’s plan is your best option.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    8999447061, SKS fob; $150.75 at AutoNation in Houston, TX.

Price search online too: "Toyota Part 89994-47061"
    W/ those key words as the search parameter, I saw this near the top:
    upload_2019-6-28_10-49-3.png

CHEAPEST price so far, if it is truly new (100% virgin) SKS fob. I would call/write verify. Hope shipping isn't $20, which would wipe out the savings.

8. TheGMann

TheGMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all the great information and advice. The key slot never worked since I purchased the vehicle, and I have no RFID, so I am assuming it was changed before me and they failed to swap the chip. I'll try cleaning the panic button hopefully this works.

Again thank you, I love learning (even if it hurts)

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the hard lesson. At least you are cool about it. A good sense of humor is the best medicine.