1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Trunk dimensions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fredct, Sep 15, 2017.

1. fredct

fredct New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Would anyone with a gen4 Prius be able to do me the favor of measuring the cargo space dimensions (behind the rear seat)? I have a young kid so enough cargo space for short trips is important. I test drove one, but didn't remember to bring my measuring tape :). Having read articles around the web, the cargo volume metrics are not necessarily fairly comparable especially between hatchbacks and sedan so I'd like to have some real measurements.

I don't need every nook and cranny of course, just a 'average' width, depth at floor, height to top of seatback, height to roof. Bonus would things like depth at roofline would be great, but not necessary.

(P.S. Also considering the Prius v 'wagon', so if you see this and have one of those handy, that'd be great too, but I'll post a separate thread for that).

SFO likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be best to measure it yourself, as there are 3 different floor heights (I think 2 in USA) depending on spare wheel or not, as well as 2 different Tonneau Cover styles.

The height is the biggest variance if, as I have, you remove the cover so you can load higher items. With the streamlined shape of the roof, the height varies considerably from front to back. The think I appreciate is that there is a large floor area, but if you had high items to carry, could cause a problem.

upload_2017-9-16_14-15-19.png

RCO likes this.
  3. fredct

fredct New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Good reminder about the two floor heights for spare/no spare! I definitely want a spare so I'd be looking for a Gen4 with a spare.

Doing some back of the envelope math though I'd expect it would make a 3-4 inch difference in height (based on Toyota's listed cargo volume) so I'd be just fine taking measurements from either and knowing to adjust a little. I'm just trying to get a general idea!

My usage here is more about suitcases and stuff for trips so I can arrange into space.
    Not one big or tall item. Just trying to get a sense of the rough space up to seat height or up to the roof.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the 2017.5 Two Eco does not have a tonneau cover. No Spare either. I do not know about the 2017.5 Prius One.

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One good idea might be to take your empty cases to the showroom and see how they fit yourself.

6. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We did that when shopping a regular Prius versus a Prius v. We choose a Prius v as a result...

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my personal *estimated* volume numbers, sorry I don't have Gen4 to measure it up for you.
    Prius Cargo.png

RCO and fotomoto like this.
  8. fredct

fredct New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    WJ, how did you define/calculate "True Luggage Volume"? Sounds like it may be similar to what I'm trying to accomplish.

PS: If anyone with a Gen4 Prius with a spare is willing to take 5 minutes and get a few measurements I'd greatly appreciate it. Already got a helper on the v... just need the reg prius now.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as how to calc- couple ways.
    We also know European quoted cargo space:
    Gen4 (no spare) = 502-liters = 17.7-ft3 (compared to US EPA Cargo Space = 27.4-ft3)
    We still do not know exactly what that 17.7-ft3 means but we assume it is VDA method which is a box loading method.

If you look at the complete list of Toyota USA Gen4 specs, which I believe @Tideland Prius has posted once here somewhere, Toyota actually quotes both methods:

LUGGAGE SPACE 17.7-ft3 (I think is what it says)
    EPA CARGO SPACE 27.4-ft3

So basically you are more interested in "Luggage Space" than "EPA Cargo Space" whereas the EPA method is a questionable (inflated) value for Liftbacks.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are photos and measurements floating around. I'll see if I can find it.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  12. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in the U.K. I am looking to get one with a spare wheel. The floor comes to the very bottom of the chrome 'D' hooks which are just inside the boot. This is about 2 inches higher than the floor without a spare. If the boot was any higher then it wouldn't be possible hinge the hooks out for use.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.