1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Trunk Won’t Open (Not battery)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Meighanam, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meighanam

Meighanam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m hoping someone can help, my 2010 Prius started having some issues where the trunk wouldn’t open (like it felt like the rubber button was almost dead) intermittently but it seemed to just be when it was very cold. It recently stopped opening altogether. Since the battery had needed jumped a few months ago and it has 78k miles I thought it was the 12V battery but I had that replaced and still, nothing. What’s odd to me is that if you depress the rubber button it will eventually beep and unlock the other doors so electrically I don’t think there should a connection issue but even though I can feel the button depress nothing happens. I can climb from the inside and open it manually so I don’t think there’s any sort of mechanical issue with the lock mechanism but at this point I’m out of ideas and Toyota is $80 just to do a diagnostic. Any ideas what it could be or what I could try? Thanks!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a fob sensor near the trunk that detects if the fob is close, and with the rubber button is pressed, trunk will open. Appears that the sensor isn't detecting the fob. It could be the low battery on fob or the sensor isn't working as it should.

3. Meighanam

Meighanam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your help! So I did try it with both fobs and had the same result. It also will beep/unlock the car doors when I hold in the rubber button on the trunk (the one you’d use to open the trunk on the actual car, not anything on the fob) which I assumed has to mean the fob is being detected, right? I’d love to be wrong though!

4. Meighanam

Meighanam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps the actuator is shot. you're probably going to have to pull off the interior panel and look at it.