1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius turbo mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by chughes123, Nov 13, 2012.

1. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ideas like this have probably been posted many time on this site so I apologize if I'm repeating what's already been discussed many times.

Thew 2013 Honda CRZ hybrid will get a "Sport+" mode, where I think the electric motor(s) can deliver more power for a short period of time without getting hot and without heating up the batteries. They may use capacitors for this. This type of mode makes sense for any hybrid, provided that the electric motor(s) are high quality and you have temperature sensors to monitor them.

With this technology you could let Prius drivers have a "Sport+" mode where the car would go 0-60 in maybe 8 seconds and hopefully would be able to stay in sport+ mode until ~85MPH, when the capacitors are drained/motors start getting hot. This would be excellent for passing maneuver's, escaping out of danger, etc.

This way you are taking advantage of the EV side of the drivetrain to give short bursts of performance, kind of like Intel's Turboboost (dynamic overclocking). As long as reliability isn't affected by having the proper sensors to give the computer data on whether or not it should allow sport+ mode at any given time, this should be implemented in some sort of upper trim of the Prius. Lower trims maybe not to keep costs down.

Has anybody done this by hacking a stock Prius?

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both the Lexus CT and GS hybrids have a sport mode which, among other items, boosts voltage to the electric motors.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aren't their Sport Mode, same as Prius' Power Mode, merely remapping the throttle response?

4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The Prius automatically delivers more power to the electric motor when you floor the pedal, circa 600V IIRC.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The software has torque limiting to hold back the full potential of the electric motor. I'd like to see that as an option to have it turned down or off. If someone would be interested in trying different things in the software, we would eventually have files to share/flash to our cars for whatever improvements or changes including performance. I am clueless with programming or I'd jump all over this. My other summer car had it's torque limiting turned off so my right foot is my torque limiting. It works very well and the drivetrain handles it fine.

Mike

6. Guswut

Guswut New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In N/A (or standard, or no) mode, flooring the throttle gives enough power for most anything you might want to do within reason, from my experience, so I see no need for a "Sport+" mode. What I'd really like would be, instead of changing the throttle sensitivity in between the two modes, change the HSI's midpoint/ICE kick in stage.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sport mode would be for us people that either owned or still own a fast car and like to goof around a bit from time to time in their Prius.

Mike

8. Guswut

Guswut New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So long as it doesn't increase the cost a great deal to all end users, as I don't think the majority of people would ever use that feature.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be an option like the Plus Performance Package is.

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

10. Guswut

Guswut New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plus Plus Performance Package. It also includes a few flame stickers on the side. Sounds like a plan to me!

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Prius can go as high as 650V. How much lexus goes?

12. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WE0H likes this.
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Not just for you Mike, but for the others who want to spin their tyres for no apparent reason. ;)

The torque limiting is not for torque only. It's there to limit battery current. You -WANT- to buy a new battery every few years? How about rebuilding the gear-set because you've just over-torqued it too many times!

Keep in mind the other Toyota hybrids (I'm including Lexus here) have different sized components. For example, the Highlander hybrid uses larger motors, clutch (torque/shock limiter), and planetary gear-set.

The Prius IS NOT a race car.

Be patient, grasshopper. Toyota has hinted at a "sport hybrid" car. In fact there is a prototype. V6 with, as I recall, 300ish HP.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That will be cool :) I thought the 3rd Gen used the same HSD as the Hylander Hybrid :(

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No, watch the video posted by Bob regarding trailer towing. It says clearly that the components are different sizes (though Bob ignored that statement). And this makes sense. One of the things Toyota did with the GIII to improve efficiency was to fine tune the size of the components in the HSD -for the Prius-.

WE0H likes this.
  16. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Well that's what capacitors are for. They could provide the very short term 'turbo' power so the battery doesn't see the load.
    Like I said this would have to be OK'ed by the computer with a bunch of sensors so it can calculate whether it is OK to enter this mode or not.
    I'm kind of against it being implemented whenever the accelerator goes to the floor because this can cause an accident if the driver is used to the sport+ behavior but sometimes it won't engage when you floor it. It's better to have it as a button so the Prius has expected power output. When the button is pushed, have the button blink quickly when running out of juice with only a few seconds left.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see it as a option available upon ordering the car or a aftermarket software flash that you buy when ever. I doubt the Prius drivetrain is built just strong enough for a bone stock program. But you never know, it could be a completely weak drivetrain just waiting to break. Like other cars that have been tweaked on, either the manufacturer knows what the drivetrain can handle and offer programs that keep it safe or owners figure out how to change the factory programs to make a vehicle do what they want it to do, within reason of course. Then there will usually be someone that takes things too far and breaks stuff. Aftermarket steps in and provides stronger drivetrain components so those that like to run on the raged edge can do so without spreading parts on the pavement every time they get on it hard. Most vehicles can be very tame or can be crazy to drive. Some like 'em bone stock and that is fine, others like them to do other stuff and that is fine too. There is no reason Hybrid performance can't be developed as it may become the hotrod of the future. Some will say, then go buy a fast car. Sure anyone can buy a 13 second car and burn a heck of a lot of high octane gas or alcohol. I think it would be cool to develop a hotrod Prius that will get a heck of a lot higher mpg's than that gasser hotrod, and would be sporting today's high tech gadgetry. Could it also get the same or similar mpg's as stock when driven normal? I think so. Many gasser vehicles can be tuned to do just that. No reason a Hybrid couldn't be tuned to also do that. Then some will say, but it will void my warranty. Some people don't care about warranties as some vehicles are that darn reliable, or they know they can repair it themselves. There are manufacturers that offer tunes and still cover the vehicle under their factory warranty's as they have then setup with a safe tune rather than running on the ragged edge. Some manufacturers will say the warranty is void if any mods are done.

Mike :)

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much energy you can store in say 1kg of capacitors and how long would it last for high engine output?

Also, how much would it add to the cost of the car?

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, try this:
    • smaller diameter tires - reduces weight, moment of inertia, and effectively changes gearing for more torque
      • try two 'donut' tires on front wheels first to get baseline - it will reduce top speed but reach it faster. Ultimately, you'll want the smallest diameter tires on alloy wheels. You'll have to use a GPS to figure out a speed and distance correction factors. (~6-10%)
    • lose weight
      • downsize 12V battery - LiON motorcycle (~20 lbs)
      • strip the interior - remove seats and every piece of weight possible including sun visors (~100 lbs)
      • remove glove boxes and divider (~2 lbs)
      • flying bridge - cut it down or out but may reduce body stiffness affecting handling (~7 lbs)
      • replace rear glass with lextran/plexiglass - weight reduction, may reduce body stiffness affecting handling. Test with glass removed first to establish baseline and metrics. (~20 lbs)
        • no need for rear wiper mechanism (~2 lbs)
      • foam and fiberglass doors and hatch - weight reduction requires carbon-fiber framing or body becomes more flexible, handling issues. Test with with extra weight equal to doors and then without extra door weight to establish and quantify effect. (~40 lbs)
      • foam and fiberglass hood (~20 lbs)
      • anorexia - save weight (tbd)
    Between a +5% increase in effective wheel torque and -10% weight reduction, there should be a measurable improvement in acceleration 0-60 mph. However, the top speed will be reduced proportional to the increased tire diameter. Back of the envelope:

F = m * a :: Newtons law​
    F/m = a​
    (1.05 * F) / (0.85 * m) = a​
    (1.05/0.85) * F/m = a​
    1.24 * F/m = a :: potentially a 24% improvement in acceleration​

Use this formula during the tuning effort to evaluate the tradeoff of each change and expected performance. Note the structural changes, doors, hatch, hood, and plexiglass will reduce body strength and stiffness impacting collision safety and street handling.

Short of a whole-body transplant, the Prius engine and drivetrain have significant limits. But if two engine and drivetrains were transplanted onto a light weight frame . . . front and rear wheel drive and steering, it could be an awesome experience.

A better solution might be to get a Tesla which I understand is "Biblically faster" and already, well integrated.

Bob Wilson

WE0H likes this.
  20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shoehorning in a 426 hemi would make the car scary fast but to keep it stock looking, factory safe, and very driveable, would revert back to the software mods :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717