1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (2015 wagon) low beam removal issue(?)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Koure, Apr 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Bob Koure

Bob Koure Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm probably asking something that has already been answered, but I read through the other "replace low beam" threads and saw no mention of this.
    I am trying to replace a burned out H11 low beam on my 2015 v. The low beam bulb looks like a halogen (looking in from the lens in front) but the rear socket portion is not like what's mentioned in the 'replace low beam bulb' threads.
    Looking from the engine-compartment side, there's a grey plastic dome, approx 3" in diameter, wiring socket in the middle. It's where the rubber gasket (81175) had ought to be (based on parts diagrams). It looks as though that dome is supposed to come off somehow. It has small lips around the outside that look as though they're to accommodate fingers. I've tried twisting to the left, and when it didn't budge in that direction, to the right.
    I've got decent hand strength (people hand me stuck jars to open) and those flutes make me think I'm not supposed to use a tool.
    The bright side here is that it's the driver's side, so it's somewhat accessible - and I know I've got an issue without unbuttoning the stuff in the way of the passenger-side one.
    This is turning out to be harder than a gen 2.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

#1 Bob Koure, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My guess is you have the led headlights. They may have a "dome" over the bulb. A h11 halogen was standard on all but the top trim 5 v's which had the led system.

A factory Prius v led assy from ebay

BEA8FFC4-77B9-4186-B74D-B7B69B85669F.jpeg
    61B241A5-AC41-49D2-A2E4-C11E757E3976.jpeg

Air_Boss likes this.
  3. Bob Koure

Bob Koure Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like you're right. Guess I ended up with the $$$ headlamps.
    Assembly looks like this one on ebay listed as a LED unit (top picture) and the dome is over the socket which I've cropped out (bottom picture). Still, the low beam bulb is burned out. Looking in from the lens side, it looks exactly like a single element halogen (little glass nub at the top, support to hold filament inside) not a LED. I guess I could take it to the dealer, but as a DIY person having a pro do something that should be so simple as a bulb change strikes me as... wrong. led headlamp prius v (cropped).jpg led headlamp prius v H11 socket.jpg

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First thing you need to do is verify the trim you have. Look at the list above and see if you have the unique parts of a v5 like foglights or 17" wheels. If so you have the led headlights. As I recall, you have to take the headlight assembly out and replace it. That requires at least partially removing the bumper cover.

If its actually a h11 bulb, you rotate the bulb, not the base, 90 degrees ccw as seen from the back and out.

Sometimes it makes sense to visit the dealer's parts department with your vin. They can tell you exactly what you have and what your options are. For free.

556DF9D6-8607-439B-BBF9-2560CFED2E23.jpeg

#4 rjparker, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have headlight washers? In pic above you can see them, the little oblong covers below headlight on bumper. I believe those are exclusive to LED headlights. Also note the distinctive twin-bulb appearance. That’s the LED low beams.

Owners Manual, in the bulb change section, for LED’s, simply says see the dealership.