1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Antenna XM Satellite Fading

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by rjparker, Oct 28, 2015.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear it helped. Mine is still going strong a year later.

2. timInAz

timInAz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 Prius and had a fading XM problem. Replaced the antenna/amplifier assembly on the roof. PN 86960-47011. I looked online but the diagram that showed up didn't look at all like what's there. So, I got one from the dealer and he gave me the online price - $120 after tax.

Problem solved.

I did it by removing the rear headliner light, then the 3 plastic fasteners that hold the headliner up (at the edge of the hatch opening.

The electrical connector releases by squeezing on the right side of the assembly.

7/8" or so wrench to loosen the nut that holds the assembly to the roof.

I was able to do this by bending the headliner down (carefully and only as much as needed). Not a lot of room there; need to be patient.

Tim

prmp945 and HomeyClown like this.
  3. uberlance

uberlance Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just wanted to add my experience as well. I added the TERK micro magnetic roof-mounted antenna as others have described in detail in earlier posts after having "NO SGINAL" from my OEM JBL non-NAV in 2011 Prius GenIII. I followed others' suggestions and install was pretty straghtforward and I also spliced the antenna to the original connector since the only adapters available seem to be around $60. I have a signal most of the time, but the performance is not nearly as good as it was before the OEM antenna went bad. Still, works OK considering the amount it cost to do as opposed to what others were reporting dealerships asking.

For now its fine, but I may consider getting a new sharkfin with the part number above in the future, so thanks for posting that.

4. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello I picked up a used 2011Prius loaded with the JBL sound and nav. Like many of you the XM drops out if you get near almost anything. It is particularly bad on I20 between Atlanta and Birmingham AL. My guess the antenna needs more gain to work or replaced with a new antenna. Did XM reception get worse as the cars aged or was reception bad from the beginning.
    Also, XM sound quality on this radio is poor to because it has no base. I am thinking on adding a sub to improve the sound.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My xm was fine when the car was new and fine after replacement of the antenna base. No base or a bad base means no or poor reception. Bass has nothing to do with the base.

6. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for replying. Can tell me how long the antenna worked before you replaced the stock antenna.
    Also the JBL radio has a limited dynamic range. I'm subwoofer tuned to the car to help low end.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would say it lasted about 3 years before the preamp in the antenna base started failing. XM would work on perfectly clear days with nothing in the southern path. If you read my posts in this thread you will get the total picture. By the way, some people don't know what they are talking about on this subject including some dealers.

#27 rjparker, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  8. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

10. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for letting me know. I will look at replacing the antenna amp to fix the reception. It is concerning it failed so soon. I do know the XM antenna amp in the aftermarket last for years. I'm sure they fail but I never have seen one. How long has the replaced antenna lasted?
    I will read the full thread now that I know it is there. Also, most do not understand RF and antennas along with the Toyota design's long sample rate that's makes skipping worse.

11. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I called two Toyota delars and the best price to replace the amp in the antenna base is just under $300. At that price I need to look at other options.

12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As a last resort, read my instructions in the pdf attached to post 10 of this thread. I suppose most auto audio techs or confident diys could change it in their sleep but the real trick is getting the right part out of three antenna bases available for this year. Even that is available for your consideration in the pdf.

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This thread and the savings created by diy is dedicated to Mr King at Universal Toyota who would not even try to diagnose the problem while the car was still under warranty.

14. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, Sirius XM radio is not free. I got a $99 one year trial when I bought the car, I enjoyed it, but now they want something like $229 to renew it? It has about 200 or more stations, and I listen to only 3 maybe? :) I'm not renewing.

15. saletoyota

saletoyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Before the "new Prius XM" came out most of us installed our antenna on the back edge of the roof.

I think you've got two main options...
    1)Move the antenna around on the Dash to see if there's interference from something reducing your reception.
    2)Take it to a radio installer shop (or do it yourself if you're comfortable with such things) and ask them to move it to an external location. The old reciever used to be installed in the back hear the hatch area, I believe the new one is installed under the dash and the lenth of the antenna cord might limit your roof installation location options a bit. But I agree, the roof is best.

BTW, I had a 3"x3" original XM antenna that had great reception. But it was butt ugly and really broke up the roof line. I switched to one of the micro antennae and had an immediate decrease in reception when I pass under power lines and other locations where I didn't have any problems in the past. it's a bit frustrating, but since I have it installed under a Sharkfin antenna the look is very good and the reception loss I'd estimate as only 5%

16. commodore

commodore New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm hoping someone here can help me with my 2010 Prius. It was the high level option car and came with all the NAV, JBL stereo, and Sattellite Radio. I have a forever subscription to the satellite. It's always worked until about 2 months ago and has completely stopped. It started fading in and out more during the past year or so. Busy driving, and didn't think that much about it, although it was annoying at times. So I think the problem is with the antenna component. All other functions do work on the car including stereo and CD player, as well as NAV and Bluetooth phone. I do recall that about 6-8 months after I got the car (Nov 2009), the NAV and radio had some problems and the entire unit, as I understood it, was replaced under warranty. no problems until now. Can anyone help me? Car is no longer under warranty, and the dealer makes me nervous as they state they have never fixed or had that problem with the Prius. It seems that these particular model year of cars did have some problems with satellite from what I've read online, mainly associated with the antenna or reception of the signal, which makes sense with everything else I see. But I now get zero reception of satellite signal. Any help or diagrams or what to look for is appreciated. Not an electronics expert, of course. Thanks!

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably the antenna amp. Read the entire thread. It could be fixed yourself or by an audio guy for about $150 in parts or less if you are willing to use a used part off ebay.

18. Rich47

Rich47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you please list the tools needed for this fix? Thanks!

19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing special other than some Harbor Freight or better panel pin pry tools. It would not hurt to have some of the plastic connectors ready if one breaks. You can buy the factory pieces at Toyota or just get some close enough ones at an auto supply.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Old thread, but as part of the Sirius XM court settlement, they offered us 90 days free subscription.

Unfortunately, all we hear now is Channel 1 (promo channel) fading in and out, so there is no way to re-authorize the radio.

Was there ever any 'easy' fix to this problem identified? At this point, and not having had working satellite radio in the car for years, I might fiddle with the antenna base but I am not going to tear into the headliner.

TIA.