1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V at 190K

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CaliMike, Dec 21, 2022.

1. CaliMike

CaliMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've received some great advice on this site. The 2012 Prius V is now up to 190K. The suspension has been done. I just had the plugs done and the ignition coil to cylinder 1. This plugs and coil were done when check engine light when on and just before that I started to hear an engine rattle usually at start up. The car is running better but I'm still occasionally getting the rattle, however it is much better now.

The car is going through a lot of oil and I've been told to use a higher viscosity oil. I'm very reluctant but I did try, BG Hybrid Performance. I felt it worked for a bit.

I read different things, is it worth it to refurbish the hybrid battery?

Thanks for keeping my Prius V on the road. It's the best car I've ever owned.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your best bet is to consider the cost of a new battery with a rebuilt engine sometime in its future. Otherwise it might be time to trade.

GregC1979 likes this.
  3. CaliMike

CaliMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm guessing the battery with rebuilt engine is 5K?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no point to fiddling with a battery that isn't broke. have you cleaned the egr circuit?

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would allocate $4k for a quality rebuilt engine installed by an independent shop, maybe $7k at a dealer. Depends on your area and knowledge of good hybrid shops and engine suppliers.

Refurb batteries are worthless unless you don't mind yearly issues that put you in the shop for days each time. Used battery cells are worn out and all the charging and discharging refurb strategies do is to simply allow the supplier to weed out the worst modules if you are lucky. New cells can get you another 150k miles from a battery standpoint. Obviously don't mess with your battery unless it code blues on you or can't make it through a stoplight without the engine restarting and pinging as you drive away with little battery hp.

You could buy a new vehicle instead, order now for Christmas and have your 40k-50k loan preapproved.

#5 rjparker, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Safe bet you have a blown head gasket.

7. CaliMike

CaliMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have not cleaned the EGR circuit. I ought to get it done.
    Actually no problems of late. The new thing is that I've noticed the coolant dropping a bit.

bisco likes this.
  8. CaliMike

CaliMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I hear ya, I've had a lot of folks say to trade it in now. I do like the car though. I'm just trying to coax it along 5-10 miles at a time. Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dropping coolant isn't good :(

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. CaliMike

CaliMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

For my knowledge, what is the concern on dropping coolant?

bisco likes this.
  11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Slow failure of the head gasket.

bisco likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be coolant leaking past head gasket, into cylinder. That's a 3rd gen "tradition", typically starts between 150K and 200K miles. Usually at the adjoining wall between cylinder's one and two.

Regarding the EGR passages in the intake manifold, they tend to clog up with carbon in sequence, with the passage at cylinder one completely clogging first, and so on. The rest of the EGR circuit is a single passage, and it's very prone to clogging as well. By 200K it's pretty much guaranteed to be near-completely occluded with carbon.

There's a theory this changes the combustion chamber environment, the shape of the heat pulse with each combustion, and this leads to head gasket failure. Corroborating evidence is that carbon clogging of the EGR and head gasket failure go hand-in-hand.

I would assess the head gasket integrity first (leak-down test and/or boroscope inspection of the combustion chambers, with engine coolant pressurized). Once that's resolved, either through head gasket replacement or engine replacement, get on the EGR cleaning. More info in first two links in my signature.

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The car won't use coolant unless it is leaking, which is obvious or if it's burning it in the cylinder.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there can be an extremely low drop that is harmless. for instance, my 10 year old car has dropped a bit, but is still above min.
    if you need to add coolant, that might indicate a problem. it could be the head gasket, or something as simple as a hose clamp

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our 2010, purchased new, in the first few years of ownership both engine and inverter coolant reservoirs gradually dropped from top to bottom line. I topped them up at that point, and the levels have stayed stable since. I changed fluid on both at 10 years, continues to be stable now, a bit over 12 years. Only 96k kms though.