1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v backup sensors

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by toy4speed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. toy4speed

toy4speed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After I did the backup camera upgrade, decided to get some aftermarket backup sensors. I've come to appreciate their benefit with some of our other cars. Really awesome feature with pickup trucks!
    These backup sensor kits are super cheap now, getting down around $20 a kit. (Amazon, Ebay, etc). I probably paid too much for mine (Tadi Bros). Anyway, install is same for all brands, pretty easy.

Kit has the hole saw drill bit, 4 wired sensors to install into the bumper, a control module, and a speaker box that emits the beeping.

Drilled 4 holes in the bumper, spaced apart, about 21 inches off the ground. Ran the 4 wires to the passenger end of the bumper cover, where there is a rubber grommet for some wires entering into the car (part of tail lights). I made a small additional hole in the grommet, fed the 4 wires through into the rear of the car, just behind the tail light. I spliced the power wires for the control module (1 red, 1 black) into the 2 wires going to the back up bulb (passenger side). I believe the red/black wire to the bulb was hot, the black wire ground.

I zip tied the control module next to the cars 12v battery, plenty of space to the side, easy to run all the wires to the control module. Used double stick tape and put the beeper onto the outside of the removeable panel that accesses the rear light bulbs.

The kit works pretty much as expected! As an object gets closer to the rear of the car, starts with a single beep at 6-8 ft, gradually intensifies in rate until a solid beep at about 1 ft distance.

Along with the new camera, these sensors make backing up in the Prius v much safer now. Just wish there was an add on kit that detects cars approaching from the side (as in backing out of parking spaces). These sensors only detect solid objects directly behind. Great accessory, especially if bought for around $20 !

Attached Files:

Air_Boss likes this.
  2. goodwheelz

goodwheelz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome idea. Thank you so much for posting.

What do you think about mounting them in the front bumper grill and connecting to an ACC electric line, as a warning device for front collision while parking?