1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V cashback

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by santhosh, Apr 10, 2018.

1. santhosh

santhosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

I am from LA and will be moving to Seattle in three weeks. I have been looking for Prius V for close to three weeks, mainly, Certified ones. I looked at 2014 and 2015 Certified ones listed for $17000-$19000. They have from 28K to 40K miles. Also, found some 2013 and 2012 ones for $15000-$16000.
    I found that Toyota is running cashback deals for Prius V now here, it is $3000 cashback. When I checked on Truecars, it listed $27500 as invoice price but now it averages around $23K.
    Right now, I would like to how much a five year prius with 50K miles would go for after five years from now. Do you guys have any suggestions here? Would love to know more about from Prius lovers itself rather than a car salesman

Thanks,
    Santhosh

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your question is confusing because you talk about shopping certified used cars and then it seems you are talking about a new one with cashback from a dealer. Many factors to the final question of value in five years. First, a Prius v is the "wagon" version that is bigger than a standard Prius. You are in the Prius v, wagon, forum. Second, if new today, it's a 2017 Prius v since they are not selling 2018 models in the US. So if you buy a 2017 now it's already a model year behind even if it's new. Because of that fact you should get a reduced price. Perhaps you are able to buy a Canadian model in Seattle by going to Vancouver. If so that situation might be different assuming it's legal and titled in the US.

If you buy a new car today, probably the best you can do is look up an equivalent six year old 2012 (assuming you buy a new 2017) or an equivalent five year old 2013 (assuming you can buy a 2018). Use kbb.com and get the used car price ranges for the car with 50k mileage.

When you access kbb.com, find the used car options and then realize that they provide three different price ranges, one for trade-in value (the lowest price), the second for private party sale value (selling directly to someone else), and the third for a "retail" used car dealer value (the highest price).

By the way, your best deal on a used Prius v would be directly from a private party. Mileage and history (carfax) are the most important factors. You are paying a premium for a "certified" car from a dealer, with the only real benefit being the ability to buy an overpriced extended warranty. If you buy private party from an individual with low mileage, you can pay a dealer or trusted hybrid mechanic to check out the car. If it's really low miles, eg under 36,000 3yrs, you can still buy a Toyota extended warranty yourself. Which is the only extended warranty to consider in any case no matter what the salesmen say.

The thing to worry about with dealer salesmen is their profit motivations, both on the car and with add ons like overpriced warranties. That's another story, but often people will pay $1000 too much for a factory warranty or will buy a third party warranty for less that is essentially worthless.

#2 rjparker, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Raytheeagle and CLUBGUY like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. can you clarify your question?

4. santhosh

santhosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    @rjparker @bisco Thanks for answering

I mainly went into shop for certified ones but then I noticed the cashback deal on the new one and the true car priced which was $4000 less than the invoice price including the incentive.

I meant Prius V here.

Here is my little research. I checked on KBB for 2013 Prius V "3" trim with 45000 miles, for dealer trade in it was $10.5K - $12.5K, average is $11.5K. 2013V Price.

There are some certified ones available within three years and 36K miles, but hey were listed for $18.5K - $19K.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. Buying from a dealer used costs thousands extra and the new one is already over a year old. Some of the 2017 v models shipped in Nov 2016. Regardless of build date, with a new 2017 you have lost a year of depreciation and that new one is still on the lot. I would either buy private party or get more than $4k off a new one. Hybrids are not hot sellers right now in any case.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    except in california. have you tried negotiating on the new one yet? we are seeing the same thing on the prius prime, people are paying in the low 20's for them after rebate, discount and tax credits, but used are selling for more.
    the biggest thing about depreciation of hybrids is the gas prices when you decide to sell.

7. santhosh

santhosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yesterday, I visited couple o dealerships and got their listed price, I have not shown them any interest or started any negotiation with them. One of them offered 1 "4" trim for $24.3K and the other one offered "3" on $25K. Today, I am going to reach some more of them and will keep you updated.

bisco likes this.